Soda Ash and TA Increases for upward pH changes

Re: Need help with chemicals

You sure about that?...I only use soda ash and it has very little affect on my TA...with 2 entirely different pools I've managed.

Soda ash (sodium carbonate or washing soda) raises pH and TA. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) raises TA without any measurable effect on pH. Borax raises pH but not TA. Aeration raises pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Re: Need help with chemicals

I'm not trying to start an argument or derail the topic but my testing and adding of chemicals contradicts that statement.

I raised my TA from 50 to 70 with baking soda last saturday and my ph went up .3

and when raising ph with arm & hammer wash soda from 7.2 to 7.8 my TA stayed at 70

perhapsit was such a small change it doesn't apply in my case.

Need help with chemicals

I'm not trying to start an argument or derail the topic but my testing and adding of chemicals contradicts that statement.

I raised my TA from 50 to 70 with baking soda last saturday and my ph went up .3

and when raising ph with arm & hammer wash soda from 7.2 to 7.8 my TA stayed at 70

perhapsit was such a small change it doesn't apply in my case.

Let's not get into it here as this is not your thread. I would suggest you start a new thread in the Chemistry 201 subforum with you exact water parameters before you added anything, what you targeted for new values and what you added (amounts and sequence of adding them).

In large quantities, baking soda can raise pH a little but not much. It does this by consuming a proton and forming dissolved CO2 which then off-gases. That is a very slow process. Most of the sodium bicarbonate remains as bicarbonate anion at pool water pH and will not change the pH.

Sodium carbonate, by contrast, adds carbonate anions which, at pool pH, will be quickly driven towards the formation of bicarbonate by the equilibrium chemistry (carbonate is not thermodynamically stable at pool pH). In order to do that, it consumes a proton (H+). So sodium carbonate both raises the pH AND creates bicarbonate (TA).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Hey Guys,

I moved these posts here to clean up the other thread. No problems with the discussion, but it was too much to leave in place. Although not so Deep, I put it here as 201 will likely be merged here in the DE at some point.

Thanks Fellas! :goodjob:

The quotes below are taken from the description of Soda Ash from Leslie's Pools
Our Soda Ash quickly raises both pH and Total Alkalinity levels to more acceptable ranges with ease.
If your pH or Total Alkalinity levels are off in your pool’s water chemistry, our Soda Ash is a quick, safe, and effective way to correct both.
14738.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.