mancubus

Aug 29, 2021
Sydney, NSW, Aust
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
I was trying to rid of algae in my pool and shocked it with algaecide. Despite, I put less volume than was recommended on the bottle, looks like algae is dead, but pool is cloudy and has soapy smell. I'm curious, what would be a recommendations to fix it? Shall I shock with chlorine it or neutralize algaecide?

What were the ingredients in the algaecide?

We do not recommend the use of algaecide and would not add more to the chemical soup you have.

Do you have a test kit and can you tell us your water chemistry?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Add salt and turn up your SWG.

You have liquid chlorine to add to up your FC?

What test kit do you have on order?

Don't add anymore of the algaecide. Chlorine will kill what you have, if anything. Good news is that Benzalkonium Chloride is short lived (couple days).

Order a good test kit I shared above. Keep add 5ppm Liquid Chlorine (using PoolMath to determine amount) daily until you get your good test kit. Keep filtering and cleaning your filter.

Read:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels
Recommended Levels
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

We can help you maintain this pool with minimal investment. If you need inspiration --> TFP Clear - Let's see PICs!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you guys! This -> TFP Clear - Let's see PICs! very inspiring!!! I would be proud to be one of you guys!
I will keep in contact with locals to get info about local tests. I won't touch these nasty algaecides anymore... I'm new to pools and followed pool shop recommendations...

Before I added algaecid, I had following parameters (based on pool shop test)
Free Chlorine: 0.31
Total Chlorine: 0.31
Combined Chlorine: 0
Salt: 2348 (5000~6000 recommended for my 40,000l pool)
pH: 8.2 (I lowered it with 800ml Hydrochloric Acid)
Cyanuric Acid: 5
Total Alkalinity: 39
Total Hardness: 129
Calcium Hardness: 129
LSI: -0.22
The pool had a lot of green (alive) algae on the bottom... Not they are still there, but dead (not green anymore)

If I will go with liquid chlorine, do I need to bypass/turnoff SWG?

Mancubus,
Heed the 5ppm chlorine an earlier poster recommended to keep the pool looking like this and not getting worse. To do nothing is going to turn it into a swamp with the blink of an eye. From the way the water looks I have doubt those numbers are anywhere accurate but then again this is all a guessing game till you get a testing kit going with your own reliable testing. Download the poolmath app and plug in all the relevant pool information. Then let it tell you how much chlorine is equal to 5ppm. If adding salt make sure SWCG is off, let it dissolve 6 hours with pump running letting it get well mixed then try SWCG if it'll be happy.

For SWCG salt most of us yank cheapskates go to the hardware store and use water softener salt... There are a few options usually available for ~99% sodium chloride there... Do folks have water softener salt systems that you could easily find product for?

A CYA level of 5 is either a completely useless measurement or you should consider your pool to have zero CYA. Have you ever used any "stabilised chlorine" product that might have had some kind of dichloro- or trichloro- prefix on the label? Have you ever seen pucks / tabs / floaters around the pool or have an inline chlorinator?

clear choice labs seems the most popular in australia
i prefer taylor k2006c from USA, shipping is not too dear
your swg requires 4000ppm salt not 5000-6000
average pool store spend was $200 per fortnight, before discovering TFP, i now spend $200 per year with salt chlorinator

Last edited:
Reactions: mancubus
Thank you all, just to recap what was discussed:
- Add Liquid Chlorine (I'm still not sure how much to add, but I will keep googling. PoolMath looks good, but I can not find anything about Liquid Chlorine)
- Keep pump running
- Add salt 40kg of salt after a few days

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.