Soapstone Coping Installation on standard gunite beam

May 14, 2017
Manassas, VA
Hello,
We have an in-ground standard 40X20 pool with an infinity spillway to a lower basin. The upper and lower basin are your standard pool design with Gunite.

The soapstone coping are 12" deep X 3 and 4 foot sections long. Heavy! My question is should i use a standard S Type Mortar Mix to set the stone? I cannot just use a landscaping glue, etc as you need to be able to level the stones. Is an 1/8 inch gap between each stone enough? We do not want huge grout/caulk lines.

Also, what type of caulk should i use to caulk the joints between the stones as well as where it meets to pool beam.

Thank you.

My guess is that soapstone is 1.25 - 1.50 inches thick.......VERY heavy and very unforgiving about placement. I would consider that a really troublesome DIY job unless you have had some extensive tile experience.

There is a great website called John bridge Tile forum that will give you a lot of insight.

Type S, mix a little fat 5:1 sand cement vs 6:1.

Mix cement and water (as rich as possible) to coat bottom of stone and top of pool prior to setting stone. Both surfaces are porous and will wick moisture out of mortar.

Joint width is a function of how square the stone is cut. For a stone of that size 1/2" is common.

I have always thought that soapstone would be an interesting choice for coping.

The only drawback that I can think of is that it's a very soft stone and easily scratched.

What do you recommend as mortar bed thickness? And, do you let it set up a little so it does not all just get pushed out when we set the stone on it? And by rich mix, do you mean add more cement to the mix? I was just going to use sakrete type s mortar mix.

Wife wants very narrow grout/caulk line, but i don't want it to be too tight where things crack due to expanding. We have grass surrounding the pool so not your traditional pool deck. Do you have a recommended caulk? Some say grout, some say type s mortar as well, A little different than setting tile.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, soft stone, but we are two adults, no kids. You can see photo here. 20180917_140009 | Parker | Flickr

I would use fortified thin-set to set the soapstone and fortified grout to finish it.

Your choice on the width of the grout as long as soapstone is cut square. Aesthetically, I think 1/4" would look nice.

1/2 inch mother bed. 1/2 inch grout line and sand mix with a laytex bonding agent. You can go tighter on the grout line if you like but most bond beams ate not 100% dead level so 1/2 inch gives you plenty of float.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
you can also tint your mud to match the dark tone to the soapstone if you grout w mortar. I would do a heavy mix and make sure both pieces are very damp they will suck the water out of your mix. check the pool all around for level and start in the high spot and 1/2" bed should be good

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.