SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Yesterday, a friend and his wife went to look at a house they were interested in, not terribly far from where I live. The house had a pool and since they knew zero about pools, they asked if I could tag along to give it the once over...not in any great detail, just to see if I noticed anything glaringly wrong during a preliminary, cursory look.

Apparently, the seller was a widowed empty-nester, whose husband died about 3 years ago. The husband was the sole caretaker of the pool and when he passed, someone shut it down, closed the valves, put on the safety cover, but it was never winterized. The pool, about 20x40 rectangle, sits down a level from the house, so it was probably a case of out of site, out of mind.

I pulled the cover back a little and the pool was still holding water, black as it was, right up to the skimmers. I told my friends that was a good sign. We then went around to the pool house which was a neat concrete block structure that housed the sand filter, pump and heater. The heater was vented straight up through the roof.
It was obvious no one had been in there since it was shutdown. There was still debris in the pump basket, mold on the walls, and the filter was obviously never drained. At some point it froze and burst, a small pile of sand lay beside it where it spilled out. The kicker is, the room had baseboard heating and a thermostat, but it was never turned on.

So all of that was a long-winded backstory for this picture...what happens when a fairly old sand filter is not properly winterized.

20200318_130759.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good lesson about winterizing equipment.

If your friend is still considering the house he should keep in mind that although the pool shell is holding water, if they didn't winterize the filter they may not have blown out the lines and some pipes could have cracked. More detailed inspection of the pool is needed if he is interested.

Reactions: BMK
Ya very good lesson. I learned me one a few years back. We had a once every 10 year snow storm with
sustained temps below 25 for two weeks. Like a complete dummy, I didn't drain anything. Though I DID put
an empty milk jug with rocks in it, in the skimmer so that didn't crack. End result
was a cracked pump basket cover and cracked heat exchanger. The heater was on it's last season, but
still, hard lesson learned! Now ALL equipment is drained thanksgiving weekend and offline until March 1st.

Reactions: BMK
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.