So, sort of got our planning out of order? Any architects out there?

miltonmom

Jan 17, 2021
Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hi all,
We are about half way done with the pool construction and have decided we need an enclosure over our existing patio. The pool will have 750sq ft of new decking, but we have an existing slate patio that is now all sun after we had trees removed. So, we are considering a pergola with a polycarbonate or acrylic covering OR a regular gabled roof with skylights (the structure would cover a significant portion of the back of the house from a inside light perspective). I have googled, pinned and houzzed (that should be a word:)) the idea to death. Here is a picture of the back of the house (pardon the clutter during construction) so you can see the dilemma with regard to attaching to house or not. The pool is just to the left side of patio. Anyway, if anyone would care to weigh in on what they did for a covered space, would love to see your photos!
Many thanks for even reading this!

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
So much would depends on your budget. With enough $$,$$$ you can do just about anything. But if you are simply trying to get shade over the patio without the expense of messing with the house, I would consider a free-standing structure - pergola or covered. They can be mounted and secured very well while looking very nice. I've used both solid covers and pergolas in the past, and personally like full covers now just for protection from the rain, birds, etc. Below are a couple different examples.

Cover 1.jpg

Cover 2.gif

Reactions: miltonmom
If you are worried about shading the house too much you could use a retractable canopy system. You can purchase a system complete or DIY it yourself with just the canopies. The company I listed is pretty pricey but I have had good luck with them over the years and they are local to me. Once you get an idea of what you want I'd shop for competitors.

It would be a lot of work and cost to tie into the existing roof line, and I would also have concerns about blocking too much light in the house itself. Unless you are really looking to make the space protected from rain, I'd lean toward the freestanding pergola option with a mesh screen on top, and run electric for a ceiling fan. This will certainly be the most cost effective. The mesh on top will filter light without blocking it altogether and make it a lot cooler to sit and still be part of the conversation with those in the pool. We have friends with a similar setup and it works quite well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.