So hot! So much CYA!

bnesheim

May 27, 2020
Gilroy, CA
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the good info. I've been fighting with algae since mother's day and a few minutes on this site convinced me I need to do a partial drain/fill to reduce the CYA from 100ppm. Shooting for 40ppm, but it's not like my pool is graduated so I'll have to guess.

Also looking at adding boric acid once I get everything else under control. Does ~50lbs sound reasonable for 20,000 gallons with a 0 borate level and a 50 ppm target? I've done the numbers a few times but it sounds like so much to add and so much to order.

Thanks again,

Bob

Hi Bob! Welcome!! If you do want to add borates, yes, 50 lbs is the correct amount for your pool. You will be our next candidate for a Pool Math guest teacher! My question first would be if you can post up a set of test results, just to make sure we are all on the same page regarding recommendations.

FC
pH
CH
TA
CYA

This is old data (5/23), I've added 384 fl oz 6% grocery store bleach over the past week (1 gal every other day) and 32 fl oz muriatic acid right after this test.

FC = 2.5
pH = 8.0
CH = 250
TA = 160
CYA = 100

Will start draining tonight and scrub some pesky black algae when it's exposed. At some point that feels like 2/3 drained I will refill and re-test.

I've ordered the boric acid and can get the 10% sodium hypochlorite at lowes. I'll keep the thread alive and post updates.

A little history, bought this house 4 years ago off probate. Pool was a swamp, pump was bad, DE filter was a pain. Replaced pump, filter, and heater. Local company did some maintenance the first season. Did it myself since and started using pucks against all the advice here (got a good deal from someone selling their house). Looks like I'll be starting over. Which is fine, a chance to reinforce the idea of ratios and percents with my kids.

Thanks for the help.

Have you done a dilution test on your CYA? The limit of the test is 100, but your actual number may be higher than that.

Get a sample of your water and dilute it by half with tap water. Shake this dilution then test it for CYA. If it still reads 100, dilute it again. You get the actual level by multiplying the first dilution by 2, and the second dilution by 4.

Hopefully you'll get a good number with the first dilution. If you get something like 120, a 50% drain and replace will give you a CYA of 60. If it's much higher than that, you'll need to do two drain and replaces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.