So Here We Go

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
Had our first meeting with a pool company yesterday leading to a build estimate. I plan on getting at least a couple more. Things went reasonably well until I brought up the fact that I wasn’t interested in an-floor cleaning system. I told him I preferred to use my Discovery robot. He explained if I wanted to install a heat pump the pop up cleaners are almost a necessity to mix the water to get an even temperature. And that their system is the best and it would basically foolish to not install it. Then my wife chimed in that she couldn’t handle the robot as it’s too heavy (she’s probably right) and if I wasn’t around she would want the pop ups. So where do I go from here to keep peace. Put in pop ups and for the most part don’t use them?

A robot is about the weight of a hefty one year old. It isn't all that hard since they're sort of boyant while in the water and you're pulling them up by the cord on to the coping. A caddy would help move it off from there to wherever you would want to hide it. Or just have her leave it in, turned off and parked in the corner till you get home?

Yeah, pop ups do disburse the heat nicely but many folks manage to heat their pools without them also.

In my mind they're just one item that is often problematic and is simplifies the pool design to go without them and use a robot. I wonder how long they tend to last considering so many folks write in saying they've abandoned theirs once they stopped working....?

Maddie :flower:

Heating should not be the reason to get popups. Popups effectively give you many more returns to disburse water around the pool. Just put in a few more returns on the sides of the pool to distribute the warm water.

Popups on older pools seem to be a problem eventually. Don’t know how old you are and if the popups will outlive you and become a problem for the next owner.

My pool has "deep heat" returns which consist of 3 returns flush with the bottom of the pool. They don't popup they are just open all the time. They go a long way towards evening out the heat I use them 100% of the time. I can choose between the 2 regular returns, 3 deep heat returns, or any percentage mixed between them. My builder charged me $500 extra for these.

A robot is about the weight of a hefty one year old. It isn't all that hard since they're sort of boyant while in the water and you're pulling them up by the cord on to the coping. A caddy would help move it off from there to wherever you would want to hide it. Or just have her leave it in, turned off and parked in the corner till you get home?

Yeah, pop ups do disburse the heat nicely but many folks manage to heat their pools without them also.

In my mind they're just one item that is often problematic and is simplifies the pool design to go without them and use a robot. I wonder how long they tend to last considering so many folks write in saying they've abandoned theirs once they stopped working....?

Maddie :flower:

I agree it’s nothing to pull the robot to pools edge, but it takes some effort to lift it out of the pool. We’re retirees and I know my wife couldn’t lift the unit out of the water. One other thought, when it comes time to sell your home, all people are not married to their pool like many of us are. They may be looking for something more trouble free which maybe wouldn’t include use of a robot even though most of us love them. Guess I’m just trying to cover all bases.

Had our first meeting with a pool company yesterday leading to a build estimate. I plan on getting at least a couple more. Things went reasonably well until I brought up the fact that I wasn’t interested in an-floor cleaning system. I told him I preferred to use my Discovery robot. He explained if I wanted to install a heat pump the pop up cleaners are almost a necessity to mix the water to get an even temperature. And that their system is the best and it would basically foolish to not install it. Then my wife chimed in that she couldn’t handle the robot as it’s too heavy (she’s probably right) and if I wasn’t around she would want the pop ups. So where do I go from here to keep peace. Put in pop ups and for the most part don’t use them?
We had our presentation with our first pool builder yesterday. Another initial meeting today with a second builder. Even though I love my robot, I believe I will also opt for in-floor cleaning for a couple of reasons if we go with this company. First it is free ( I know nothing is free) during a current “special” in which they throw it in. Plus it would be handy for any extended vacations away from home. I know I can schedule my Discovery cleaner for short periods while away, but there’s always those issues of storms while away, bogging the cleaner down, which I know would be a problem for floor cleaners too. But an in-floor system will keep my wife happy as it could be used if I was not there to operate “Discovery”, so what more can I say.

I would be going with a salt pool this time, Pentair equipment with Intellicenter automation. I am interested in some type of acid injection and they again suggest Pentair with a price tag around $1,500. I know I could do a Stenner pump for less, but which would be better? Has anyone had experience with the Pentair system? It sounds like it can be very accurate in controlling PH.

We are in Sun City West. We went with In Floor cleaning and a large channel drain in our salt water pool. We are all Pentair, and did get the IntellipH. This all makes the pool nearly maintenance free. I did have them install a dedicated vacuum port for my Hayward XL suction cleaner. It comes in handy during monsoon season when we want to speed the cleanup. This is our third pool, all built by Shasta Pools.

After the first two pools with in-floor cleaning systems I did not put one in this time. So far, the S300i robot does a great job. I was talking to a relative on Sunday and he said that he loves his in-floor cleaning system. Right after that he said he needs to take one of the heads in to get it replaced which they will do since it has a life-time warranty. He said its easy to remove them and replace them....he does it all the time :laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love my robot. But my back was killing me for about a week last week. I had to be really careful getting him out. I had the strength but didn't have the flexibility or pain tolerance. So I can see a future for me (hopefully far away) where it wouldn't be easy peasy.

What I think someone should design (shouldn't be that hard) is a device to lift the robot out of the pool using the lever principle. Something that is on a 1 1/2" stainless steel post that drops into a sleeve next to the pool, which has a pole with a long "J" hook on one end. You raise the long end of the pole, and the other end pivots down (there may need to be a compound action here to make the geometry work), hooks on the robot handle at the water level (since the newest ones drive up to the waterline and stay there for retrieval), then you lower the long end of the pole to raise the bot, then you twist the post by pulling the long handle sideways 90 degrees, raise the long handle, and voila, the robot is on the deck.

And better yet, it's somehow designed into the caddy, where you take the handle down to the ground and it uses that lever action to raise the robot up enough that it can be rolled out by pulling the caddy away from the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.