Snow Joe CaCl price doubled, what product do you use to raise your CH?

Oct 17, 2018
KATY/TX
That’s a bit more than I was thinking,

I would suggest using CalHypo to chlorinate first a few weeks, but I suspect it would take forever to increase it as much as you’re looking for.

That’s a bit more than I was thinking,

I would suggest using CalHypo to chlorinate first a few weeks, but I suspect it would take forever to increase it as much as you’re looking for.

Been a while since I checked, but last time I was looking people were recommending my CH to be around 220-240.
What do you keep yours at?

Hang on.... The ColorQ is not very accurate with Calcium. I would suggest holding off until you can test it another way lest you add too much.

Maddie :flower:

Pool Test Kits - ColorQ Limitations

LaMotte actually measures Total Hardness and not Calcium Hardness, no matter what LaMotte calls it in their paperwork. Total Hardness depends on a lot of other hardness factors other than just Calcium. Total Hardness depends a lot on your local water.

You can use your TF-100 to get an accurate reading on CH measurement and then from the same sample use the ColorQ to measure hardness. Then use the difference to adjust what the ColorQ says is the CH to what the actual CH should be if you are not looking for absolute accuracy. So, if the TF-100 says the CH is 300 and the ColorQ says 350, then when you use the ColorQ to test CH, you always subtract 50 ppm. You can then test your actual CH with your TF-100 a couple of times a year to confirm that difference is still valid.

Pool Test Kits - ColorQ Limitations

LaMotte actually measures Total Hardness and not Calcium Hardness, no matter what LaMotte calls it in their paperwork. Total Hardness depends on a lot of other hardness factors other than just Calcium. Total Hardness depends a lot on your local water.

You can use your TF-100 to get an accurate reading on CH measurement and then from the same sample use the ColorQ to measure hardness. Then use the difference to adjust what the ColorQ says is the CH to what the actual CH should be if you are not looking for absolute accuracy. So, if the TF-100 says the CH is 300 and the ColorQ says 350, then when you use the ColorQ to test CH, you always subtract 50 ppm. You can then test your actual CH with your TF-100 a couple of times a year to confirm that difference is still valid.

Thanks, I will take a sample to my local pool company and have them test CH and see the difference that way a few times and then just adjust. Their test should be accurate as well.

What product do you use to raise your CH?

Thanks, I will take a sample to my local pool company and have them test CH and see the difference that way a few times and then just adjust. Their test should be accurate as well.

What product do you use to raise your CH?

Your local pool company test is not likely to be any better then your Color-Q. Good chance they will use a Lamatte tester.

You really need to get a TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C to use to validate your Color-Q tests.

My fill water has enough CH that I have never needed to add it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, darn. I dunno but most folks don't need to add calcium monthly. Calcium only leaves via splash out or draining, so that's why I wondered if you had an occult leak. If it were from splash out or leak your CYA would also need replenishing.

For a plaster pool you're keeping yours on the low side. Why not take it up to 300 and see how it goes?

4 jugs of Calcium Increaser will increase your CH to 300ppm.

The Katy Walmart has 4 in stock. Cost is $10.32 each.

You can either keep searching or just get'er done. I'm of the "get'er done" mindset for myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.