Small leak in fitting, need advice

Apr 30, 2014
fl
Just put together my Intex sand filter and plumbed to my agricultural stock tank (1,000 gal) for quick cool off when working in yard.

Pretty much seamless install. Drilled 1 1/2 in holes with hole saw for inlet and outlet.

I did use the provided washers and o rings. I had to order the strainer assembly from intex which takes water from pool to filter as it was not provided.

Assembly fit cleanly in the drilled hole and i used the fat washer so no leaks at the wall of the pool.

My issue is where you screw the hose to the strainer fitting. Again i used the proper washer but after hand tightening i still had a drip. Tried some teflon tape and still a slow drip. i did NOT cross thread the fitting.

In the pic you can see a drop of water at the bottom of the smaller grey connector.

Not sure what to do next, silicone, tighten with wrench, more teflon tape ??

Any thoughts on this simple problem. Just don't want to mess up the fittings or my "pool".

Attachments

• 20170724_183450.jpg
    20170724_183450.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 70
Some silicone o-ring grease or plumber's grease on that o-rong should be all you need. Grease it up and tighten it until it doesn't leak. No teflon tape should be needed and definitely no silicone.

Agree. You should not need Teflon tape or silicone. The o-ring compression will seal the leak. Hand tighten the union nut with give you about 0.015" compression. Do you have the right size O ring? Ad definitely use o ring grease. It will dry out if you don't!

Some silicone o-ring grease or plumber's grease on that o-rong should be all you need. Grease it up and tighten it until it doesn't leak. No teflon tape should be needed and definitely no silicone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.