Slowing Neg Edge?


Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
I have a negative edge with a Jandy 2.5 horse power pump. My flow rate is too high. Im looking to slow it down on the return side. Is a diverter valve 2 way or a ball valve a better choice? Any thoughts on this. Again the negative edge is plumbed separate and sucks from troth to Jandy 2.5 feature pump to pool.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Either a ball or Pool (diverter?) valve will work, but pool valves tend to work better and last longer than regular PVC ball valves. True Union Full Port PVC ball valves work well, but they're usually hard to find and are about as expensive as pool valves.


Well-known member
Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Not the cheapest option, change the pump to a Variable speed. Valves will put back pressure on the pump and then it will start getting loud. With the variable speed you can dial it in.