Slow drip at multiport valve connection - not sure how plumbing is attached?

SoloTSi97

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2015
SW Ohio
First off, many thanks to everyone on this forum. I have learned so much and resolved so many issues with info from this site that I can't even count.

This year, our plumbing appears to have developed a couple of slow drips where there are PVC connections to the multiport valve atop our sand filter. The drip appears to be coming from the joint between the white PVC and the black multiport valve. I'm confused by how the PVC is attached, though, since the pool was installed by the previous homeowner I didn't see how this stuff went together. I see outer threads, but those clearly aren't being used for anything. Instead, it looks like the PVC is maybe stuck inside the multiport valve connection and sealed with some kind of cement? I've attached a couple of photos that hopefully show what I'm talking about. The pictured connection is the pump output going into the filter. It hasn't been altered or disturbed in the ~5 years I've owned the house/pool.

Assuming that's where the leak is coming from, how would I go about repairing this? Is this a "right" way to have connected this plumbing and, if not, is there a better way to repair it?

Thanks much for your insight!

-Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_093213.jpg
    IMG_20200514_093213.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200514_093218.jpg
    IMG_20200514_093218.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm confused by how the PVC is attached,
Oh my. :hammer: It looks like the previous owners used a slip adapter of sorts and glued it into the MPV. That stinks. I suppose the only way you'll know if you can remove all of that is to try and turn those parts. Your success will depend on what glue they used. If it was something designed to be permanent like PVC glue .... uh oh. Twisting might break the MPV. You might have to try and use a blow dryer or heat gun (carefully) to try and weaken the grip of that glue. If you get lucky and they just used something semi-permanent like a silicone or something, it may not be that bad.

Last option ... if the drip isn't that bad, just leave it until you close later this year and tackle it all then. :)

Reactions: SoloTSi97
I was afraid that would be the case. And, yeah, the drip is very minor. I'm absolutely okay with leaving it as is for now and tackling it later if it isn't an easy fix. I just wanted to try and gauge what I'm in for ASAP and plan accordingly. That's the main reason why I just took photos rather than pulling around on anything for fear of making it worse.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Actually, I think your MPV may have 1.5" internal threads and 2" external threads. That's a Lasco ASTM D2466 1.5" threaded PVC adapter (436-015 ) which screws into the inlet on your MPV. Hopefully, they simply used a sealer, not cement, to seal the joint and you should be able to unscrew it without any damage to the MPV. Be gentle, though!

While you're at it, you may want to replace that adapter with a 2" union that you can detach and attach at will, should you need to do so.

Wow, good eye! I didn't even think to look up the part number for that part ... bonehead move on my part. Definitely appreciate that.

Given the minor nature of the drip, I do think I'm inclined to wait and see for now and tackle this later in the season when I close. But, you've definitely given me hope that things aren't as bad as I had feared. I definitely agree with your point about going to a union instead if I can.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I did a little digging online to identify the MPV itself and found it on Amazon. It does look like it definitely has 1.5" internal threads, so it seems likely that the plumbing is threaded in. The question is just what sort of sealant/adhesive was used on the threads.

Thanks again for the replies.

The question is just what sort of sealant/adhesive was used on the threads.
I suspect some Teflon tape and/or plumbers putty or some sort. Can't tell from the pic, but unless there's a union further back on that PVC line, you would likely have to cut the PVC to unscrew it from the MPV. Hence the Union that Keith noted. :)

The other end of that pipe is a union atop the pump, so I might be able to disconnect there and rotate the entire assembly to unthread it. But, your point is well taken! A union in there would certainly make future disassembly much easier!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.