Slow close fence

boojew

Jun 16, 2020
Montreal, QC
Hey guys - I get the impression I will be spending a lot of time on TFP!
Question: i recently had my pool installed and with it a glass fence with a metal frame. It looks great- but when the gate closes… well sometimes it does it very hard. The auto close mechanism has been adjusted and it’s probably as graceful as I could hope for - but sometimes people open the door ALL the way and release or even the wind catches it and BANG. The glass is of course tempered- but still.

Anyways - I’m trying to figure out how I can make it slow close- but all the solutions appear to be for wood fences. I’ve even considered adding a 2nd auto close to counter balance the original to see if that would slow it down. Any ideas? Or am I an idiot and missing something obvious?

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 22
Can you find a piston like solution like the ones used on screen doors ? Wind will be your enemy no matter what, but they would help all the other times.

Since the inside of the gate post that the strike is attached to must swing past the outside of the post that the latch is attached to, you might try attaching multiple layers of a thin somewhat stiff plastic (like a thin plastic cutting board/mat ) to the post above the latch on the outside of the post. The gate when striking the plastic that is in the way may be slowed enough to prevent it from banging but still latch. You could experiment with a different number of layers by attaching with C clamps to see if you can achieve the results you are looking for. If it works, you could permanently attach the plastic with a retangular metal plate screwed into the latch post.

Think that I was looking the wrong way. Looks like the gate swings in towards the pool. If so just reverse inside and outside, but I think you get the idea.
Pool fences here have to swing inwards by law. Its to make it more difficult for little kids to get into the pool area. But anyways.. I think it would still be the same issue... unless you mean keep the spring on the other side and have them work as counter-balances to one another.. which is basically what I am thinking I will try

Pool fences here have to swing inwards by law. Its to make it more difficult for little kids to get into the pool area
Ha !!! I just learned by me they have to go out. So if they are kinda open and somebody pushes the gate it closes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.