DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
FC = 4.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 5
CH = 190
CYA = just over 50 from my reading

I'm not reporting TA because I didn't get a chance to test it last night. From my last test it was around 90.

We're seeing some algae on our steps of our pool and spa. I'm surprised to see that the CC is only at 0.5...and pool school says if CC is over 0.5 that's when we should shock...but clearly it's visible we should shock now.

Thoughts?

(BTW, this is my first time following the recommendations on here. Got my TF100 test kit yesterday and that's where my numbers came from. Must say I LOVE this kit WAY better than my Jacks Magic one!)

[center:5z8k5ae8]
file.php

Break out the brush and the bleach! You need to shock.
And see if there's some way to aim the return jets to better circulate the water in that area.[/center:5z8k5ae8]

Hi, Dana,

It is a common misconception that the need to shock your pool is ALWAYS accompanied by CC's higher than 1.0

A good way to think about it is if CC's are 1.0 or higher, there is a very good chance you need to shock. If CC's are 0 - .5pp. You still may need to shock if you have any other indicators (visible presence of algae, murky water, etc.)

So follow Barney and Richard320's advice.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You might have poor circulation near your steps in which case you can see if there is a return that can be pointed a little differently to improve circulation. This would help prevent the return of algae after you've shocked to get rid of it.

That makes perfect sense about the returns and water circulation near the steps. When my husband gets home he's going to readjust the returns and we'll start the shocking process. I'm not leaning over the pool due to a 7-month pregnancy going on with me. :) Thanks for all the advice!

Water temp is important?

I see a lot of people note the water temp when they post their results. Do I need to get a thermometer for our pool? Why is the temp when testing so important? I don't recall learning that in pool school. Could be information overload, though! :)

Hi, again, Dana,

It's a good idea to put as many questions as practicable in one thred. Even if they are differetn topics, it helps us get a good "picture" of your pool and holds down the number of thread. I moved your temp question here.

Water temperature doesn't usually make that much of a difference. But it can matter when it is much lower than usual or much higher than usual. There is no real need to measure the water temperature, but you might want to mention if it is much colder or much hotter than swimming temperature when asking a question.

Makes perfect sense. Just learning the ropes. :) I just wasn't sure if people would look at one topic over another and be more apt to answer one if they know the subject or something. Considering I'm new and am about to be posting a lot of questions, one thread does sound better! :)

And that makes sense about the temperature. Thanks for the info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a question unrelated to my subject line. 2 mornings in a row we've noticed that our spa (attached to pool) water level has been low. It's almost like the spa is draining water (somewhere??) when the pool is off...but we're not noticing this when the pool is on. It's really odd. We literally have never seen this happen before. Spa main drain is closed...we're going to double check that it's closed tight (we haven't messed with that for a while so we can't see why it wouldn't be). We're not seeing water leakage anywhere. Totally baffled!

We finally brushed our pool, backwashed and added 4 jugs of 182 oz size bleachs. That was to bring us up from the 4.5 FC to 20 FC per pool school. We added it around 7pm. I just tested the chlorine (we had to run errands) at about 9pm and our FC is now at 33, CC is 0.5, so TC is 33.5.

I'm puzzled that we went WAY up to 33! That's based on 22,000 gallons. Is it possible that we don't have 22,000 gallons? This is my first time using poolcalculator.com. I'm certain it's a reliable source. So I just have to guess that I have my facts wrong somehow. It did say to add 3.9 jugs but we went ahead and did 4, but I can't imagine that that alone would bring us up to 33 instead of 20. Help? And I'm assuming now that it's fine to just retest when I get up in the morning. Oh, one more question. Is it possible that it just hasn't circulated the entire pool yet and I got water from an area in the pool where the bleach was more concentrated? I don't know. Just coming up with excuses. :)

Well, my first guess is that the pool is smaller than you thought :wink:
Give us some details on the size and we'll help you figure the gallons.

And yes, you can use the FC/CC #'s from tonight with your morning FC/CC for the OCLT.

Welcome to the forum neighbor :wave:

Butterfly said:
Well, my first guess is that the pool is smaller than you thought :wink:
Give us some details on the size and we'll help you figure the gallons.

And yes, you can use the FC/CC #'s from tonight with your morning FC/CC for the OCLT.

Thanks! Sooo...how do I go about helping you help me figure out how many gallons we have? I'll do a search to see if I can find info on the site for that, but if you get this, let me know and I'll try to do that tomorrow. We've been going by 22,000 since we moved in. Not sure exactly where that number came from...hm!

Hey, you better stay outta' that pool store on Lake Murray BLVD :mrgreen:

Anyhow, well, just go out there and measure your pool for us! ~when you get time, of course~ :p

Just as a little info, when we bought our house with a pool, we were 'told' it was 24K. When we had it replastered soon after and 'refilled with measured city water', we learned it was about 18K. I have seen about an average of a 25% enrichment in size of pools with pool guys 'guestimating'. Just my .02 :wink:

Don't even get me started on the pool stores!!! You don't work at any of them, do you? I'll keep my mouth shut until I know that for sure!!! :p

Hm. Doesn't surprise me if people lie about the size of pools. First off, not the simplest of things to double check (especially for novices), and secondly, just another way to sell more chemicals! Hmph!

Hey - is the 33 FC harmful to our equipment? Just thought of that.

DanaSC said:
Don't even get me started on the pool stores!!! You don't work at any of them, do you? I'll keep my mouth shut until I know that for sure!!! :p
Nope, and I cannot breath in any of them either! :puker:

Hm. Doesn't surprise me if people lie about the size of pools. First off, not the simplest of things to double check (especially for novices), and secondly, just another way to sell more chemicals! Hmph!

Hey - is the 33 FC harmful to our equipment? Just thought of that.
You're okay with that. You just hit around Mustard Algae shock level. The FC will drop fast enough with sunlight and organics consuming.

ETA: We do have a few pool store guys as members here and they understand BBB and are very knowledgable and helpful for our members. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.