Slamming without slamming need help.

“Higher FC levels will oxidize contaminates more quickly, but levels that are too high can cause damage to the pool or the pool equipment. Recommended shock levels are designed to break down contaminates reasonably quickly while posing minimal risk to the pool.”
Here’s some more info on the fc/cya relationship
If that was plain language, it waS a different one!

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88
I was moderated for inquiring why someone stated slamming with bleach harms liners/ equipment. I still want to know, I think that was the purpose of the OP.

Ive read its safe to swim up to slam levels, at what level is it unsafe, and how unsafe is it and why?!
Thanks
I don’t know the details of your moderation. That said, it may have been the context of your question or that it was asked in a thread that ended up being an off topic question. If you ask a specific question “does Using bleach to SLAM cause issues with equipment and liners” that wouldn’t be cause for moderation. in short, it doesn’t matter which product you used to increase the FC as long as you understand the consequences. Using bleach isn’t any more or less harmful than anything else. The benefit of using bleach or liquid chlorine is that it doesn’t add any unwanted chemicals.

At what level FC is unsafe? That is a very difficult question to answer. So to play it safe, the SLAM level is used as a guideline since we know that at SLAM levels, the FC isn’t high enough to cause damage. This consideration is one reason why the SLAM FC was chosen. A vague answer I know.

You are at the M stage of the SLAM now. Maintain. The more the pool stays at SLAM level the quicker it goes. Any dip can make you loose ground in the battle, or at the very least extend the battle. Do the best you can with what you’re working with. You have a bunch of your Southern neighbors rooting for ya !!

Reactions: OG OOLS
M sounds good newdude!
I’ll go with 1.7 L ( 5ppm) Saturday and Sunday and get re tested Monday. I’ll add in the evenings so Im not freaked out when the kids want to get in.
Thanks again everyone, see yas Monday.

Attachments

• 9526C227-9764-4F6C-BD76-B12EFEED94DB.jpeg
    9526C227-9764-4F6C-BD76-B12EFEED94DB.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 17
  • F292B9ED-AE6A-4B29-9C97-85D47427BE72.jpeg
    F292B9ED-AE6A-4B29-9C97-85D47427BE72.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Newdude
I'm in Canada... I managed to get a Taylor kit... please check my thread.

yet-another-test-kits-in-canada-thread.211139

I can't stress what a difference maker it has been. Toronto had three days of rain a few weeks ago and my pool went cloudy. I had to slam mid season...... thank god I had the kit.
We got the rains too Im just East in Northern NB. Plus In a noob and we had a few parties with the Covid restrictions final lifting.
I dont think I’ll be able to get the kit if its over $200, and reagents being another issue I cant see it.
Im looking for a kit on Amazon that tests higher than 3 CL.

Added 1C ph down, sodium bisulphate. Label says let mix 4 hrs....

Theres a bit if recurring dirt at bottom, every morning is similar amout, I think its because the ool gets clearer then I can see the bottom beter ie more dirt
G531E21EC-9FE6-428B-9CB1-C0C04315FE88.jpegoing to vaccum then brush then backwash then 🏊‍♀️

Reactions: revitup

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The “dirt” is likely still algae that accumulates on the bottom. Keep up the SLAM process as best as you can.
Exactly this. The algae dies and appears as dust when you brush it. Vacuum that up. Make sure you are able to back wash a bit if the pressure on your filter changes.

Next year. Get the kit man. It is well worth it. I can’t believe how much guessing I used to do previously. A kit helps you solve problems immediately.

I will get the kit as soon as I can, probably be my. xmas present 😆 some good it will be in December.

My wife thinks I should be using trichlor still as it was crystal clear the first two months, she doesn’t understand why I need a test kit or why the water is cloudy, Ive explained the situation a few times. She says “how does everyone else keep theirs clear without the kit”. I dont know and go ask them I said, every pool is different.

Honestly, its becoming a problem. Expectations vs reality/support. Its tiring. Now Inhave to pack two kids up and drive 20 minutes each way to the pool store to see what my guesses did to the balance

I dont mind vacuuming, brushing, cover on/off, add chem, go to store, research, clean filters, sweep deck, put toys away, test, backwash, rinse, repeat.

But $300 for a test kit so I know what the heck Im doing, hard NO. Robot cleaner, NO. Proper cover, NO. And then she’ll mention pucks again and I feel truly like giving up. I’ve already told her to get a new pool guy or to go ahead and put the pucks in. She’ll be doing maintenance soon. It will be a problem if I do give up, or if she gets someone to come behind me. Id appreciate help but our pool guy ( builder) is a thief( gave broken equipment hasnt replaced it) and liar, Id rather never talk to him again. I go to a different pool store, not the one that built mine. I probably shouldnt have a pool.

If it makes you feel any better, we get tons of newbs stateside that don’t want to, or can’t afford the kit who keep spending hundreds at the pool store. Eventually most bite the bullet and get the kit. Yours is unfortunately more of a bullet with the taxes and duties. You’ve gotten a relative free pass due to your options. Most other newbs would be told to follow the rules or go their own way without us.

Pools should come with a disclaimer that you have to spend a little to protect the investment, but that wouldn’t help the pool store/builder that set you up to fail in the first place.

And with just a few weeks left, you won’t get much use from the kit by the time it get to you anyway, so the winter plan is probably the best. Hit the ground running next season and never look back. Justify the cost with a combo of Xmas and Birthday presents. It will save you SO much more grief (and lots of money too) instead of new socks and a tie. :)

I have a feeling if u replaced about 30% to 40% of the Water (to get cya to 30) you would have an easier time staying closer to true SLAM Process LevelsFC/CYA Levels
w/ your current Distilled water dilution test method.
Before i had a good kit years ago - i had to perform a slam this way.

Don’t give up!
Testing & adding liquid chlorine multiple times daily & 24/hr filtering will get u there.
Remember to backwash when filter pressure rises to 25% over clean pressure.
Also u may look into adding A little de to Your filter to help with the filtering as sand filters can take a while to clear the haze.
here’s the how to for that:
Even doing so you keep slam levels up until u pass all 3 end of slam criteria
Good luck 👍🏻 We’re rooting for ya!

Not sure if u have pulled those steps & given them a good scrub but u should- they could likely be a big source of algae- also check/scrub all skimmer throats & weirs, pool lights, drain covers etc.

Not sure if u have pulled those steps & given them a good scrub but u should- they could likely be a big source of algae- also check/scrub all skimmer throats & weirs, pool lights, drain covers etc.
I havent pulled the stairs, I will. Will be good practice before closing time. Its going on day 7 since trouble began, looking a lot better tonight! Pool guy was no show this afternoon, thankfully I have TFP! FC0D74B6-BDFC-4654-AA60-23C4350732B0.jpeg

That DOES look much improved. Congrats. Stay the course !! All too many people quit early once it looks better and they are back at square one soon enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.