Slam with zero cya

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I just opened my pool yesterday and put in 5 gallons liquid chlorine and backwashed through out day. Tested fc at end of day and not surprised it had 1 ppm. So in evening I put in 5 more gallons and tested this morning and now I have 10.5 fc.

so my question is how much cya should I put in now durning slamming since I have zero?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This water has never had stabilizer added to it?

A minimum CYA of 30 ppm is described in the SLAM Process. Read the article.

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I keep it between 70-80 durning season since I have swg. Every year I open to zero. I did do some backwashing yesterday and this morning because i have sand filter and water is green.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
OK -- then add 30 ppm CYA worth of dry stabilizer using the sock method. Assume the CYA level is then 30 ppm and start the SLAM. After the stabilizer is fully dissolved from the sock, then test CYA level and adjust your SLAM FC levels, if necessary.

Reactions: IceShadow

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What Marty said. Your FC will be extremely harsh without any CYA to buffer it and will disappear quickly in the sun. You want some CYA in there to avoid this.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.