SLAM - With Cal Hypo - Only Option

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
I'm attempting to clear up my pool with my new sand filter and pump (love it!). I have zero access to liquid chlorine. I've checked my local walmart, home depot, pool store, etc... and nobody has any "bleach" or liquid chlorine (I know it's the same thing). I do have an Intext SWG but currently it's turned off. The only thing I do have is 73% Cal Hypo from my local pool store. Any advice or anything I need to keep an eye on as I try to do the best I can with what I got.

I opened with everything at 0.

I added 20oz of CYA (all I had, getting more today).
I've been holding my FC around 12 with the Cal Hypo - dissolving then dumping in the skimmer.
I'm worried that this could get expensive with the Cal Hypo if this doesn't clear up quickly.

The one question I do have currently is should I turn on the SWG? Would this help at all with the FC level and allow me to go a little easier on the Cal Hypo?

Would appreciate any other advice on how to clean up this green monster. I've completed SLAMs in the past but alway using liquid chlorine and no SWG.

Thanks!

Current Calcium is at 60.
Then you're in great shape. You're a long long way from risk of Calcium Scaling.

We discourage the SWG because 1) You lose track of how fast the FC is really being depleted 2) It shortens the life of the cell 3) You're more likely to forget to shut it off during the OCLT.

That said, I think if you have to go to work it's better to have the SWG adding chlorine than to let it go 8 or10 hours between feedings.

I always do my opening SLAM and chlorination with Cal-Hypo at the beginning of each season. I know that liquid is better for most people, and 100% agree that this is the way to go for beginners since it is much easier to handle and measure and much safer to store. Our water here is very soft, and after following TFP protocol religiously for 3 years I came to the realization that I was wasting money by purchasing and adding Calcium Chloride Dihydrate separately, so I kind of kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I always wear goggles when I use it to protect my eyes from any wind gusts. I usually switch to 12.5% liquid chlorinator around mid-June when my CH gets to where it needs to be. YMMV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.