SLAM - Water is clear but still using up a lot of chlorine!

Desire5292

Apr 30, 2019
Sylvan Springs, Alabama
Been SLAMing since Saturday, pool has been "clear" (or at least not green) since Sunday morning. Finally got rid of the cloudiness around Tuesday evening so it looks great, but it's still using a ton of chlorine. Went from 12 ppm last night to 6 first thing this morning. What should I do now? Just keep it up until it quits using chlorine so fast?

It's time to look for hidden algae. Something is using up that chlorine and it's not the sun.

Check out the pictures.

I read those. Thanks! Here's the thing...I have an above ground pool, we haven't put the steps in yet, no lights, etc...the only things in the sides are the skimmer going to the pump and the return jet from the filter. Could it be something in those or in the hoses to/from pump and filter, or in the pump or filter themselves? I confess, I know very little about maintenance of the pump or filter and haven't done much other than backwashing the filter.

I personally always check the CYA a day after added more just to make sure I am where I want to be. If you ended up being below 30 you could be too low to hold the chlorine level. Although if you had that much loss overnight there probably is algae hiding somewhere.....

Okay, here's an update...yesterday I got out there and brushed really well again and got the small amount of junk that had settled on the bottom stirred up. Backwashed filter to make sure it's functioning at its best, etc. This morning there's not much of anything settled on the bottom and I lost no chlorine overnight. So, since I never really found the problem, should I keep it at shock level until I figure it out? Or since the water's clear and it held chlorine overnight, should I assume I'm done SLAMing and move on?

I SLAMed pool for 6 days, yesterday AM the water was very clear and had held the same FC (12) all night. Decided to let the FC drift down for the day and tested everything this morning. Here are the results:
FC - 3.5
CC - 0
TA - 90
CYA - 20
PH - 7.4
Didn't test CH because it's a vinyl liner pool and from everything I've heard it doesn't matter?

Just wondering what my next step is? I'm assuming I need more stabilizer to bring CYA up and should probably bring the FC up a bit. Is it normal for the FC to go from 12 to 3.5 in a day with the CYA that low or is there another issue I should worry about? We haven't had any rain lately and the temp is in the 90s with full sun on the pool all day, if that makes a difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add 20 ppm CYA via the sock method. Follow the FC/CYA Levels based on 40 ppm CYA.

CH only matters in a vinyl pool if it is above 400 ppm or so.

Air temperature has little effect on pool water chemistry.

That is a substantial drop of FC in one day. Monitor to be sure you fully completed the SLAM. I assume the water is crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.