Slam levels before closing

May 24, 2018
Liverpool, NY
This is my second time closing my pool. In the spring I started using this site along with the BBB method and its been a wonderful experience. I've learn so much and I am grateful for all the advice. My question deals with chlorine levels before I cover. Last fall when I closed my pool, I basically pored 5 gal of 12.5% liquid chlorine in, run the pump a few days, then closed. Didn't think much about what the ppm of chlorine was in the pool. Now that I know better, I realize that my pool was probably around 30.0ppm when I closed. When I opened in the spring, my pool was crystal clear with a chlorine level of about 7.0 ppm. When I check the slam chart, It suggest I use around 2 gal to bring my chlorine levels to 16 ppm. I guess what I'm asking is for reassurance that 2 gal will be enough. I definitely don't want to open my pool in the spring and find it a green swamp.

While several factors can ultimately influence the quality of your water at opening, it's best to follow the SLAM/FC level as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. We certainly wouldn't want you to open in the spring to find a faded liner because of excessive chlorine that was just sitting there. Of course stick with the basics at closing like preparing the pool with a good cleaning, wait as long as you can to close, and make sure water temps are steadily at 60 degrees or lower. Of course open next year as early as you can as well. Some will use a Polyquat 60 algaecide as insurance, but if you do opt to use it, allow the FC to fall to normal levels before adding. Adding Poly 60 to a SLAM level would probably just get consumed/oxidized quicker reducing its effectiveness.

Jbat:

Because we are on the same side of this wonderful country, I will mention that your cover is probably the second most important item at closing. If you close around Mid October and open last week of April, there is a very low probability of opening up to a green pool, no matter what type of cover you have. No need for excessive bleach (liquid chlorine) as it will just burn off as fast.

Question: When exactly do you open and close, and what type of cover do you have? Thank you.

I have a safety cover. I will most likely close on Oct 6 or 7th because we are going on vacation the 12th through the 18th. I'm not sure I want to push the closing to Oct 19. As you know the weather here is pretty unpredictable. I like to open late April, early May depending on temperatures. What's your thoughts on waiting until Oct 19th ?

What's your thoughts on waiting until Oct 19th ?

Entirely up to you. You stated a safety cover, but did not mention if you have a mesh or solid safety. If you are going to close on the 6th or the 7th, then use the Poly-Quat 60 Algaecide. A lot depends on the quality of the cover, if you have mesh.

Example:

1) Last year, pool closed with safety cover and chlorine levels at SLAM, no algaecide. Opened up to a green pool in spring with a mesh cover. Pool was closed in October (the first week).

2) Last year, pool closed late November with no chlorine, no CYA, new liner, new water. High end mesh safety cover. Opened up in the same week and water was clear.

3) Last year, my pool was closed first week of October, and opened May 7th of this year. There was no chlorine upon opening and about 3 ppm at closing with a 3/4 of a quart of Poly-Quat. Solid cover (tarp) no safety. Opened pool to clear, but dirty water was winds, etc. Brushed walls, floors, edges, etc. to suspend all the dirt and water became real cloudy. Within 4 hours and one bottle of 12.5% from Ocean Odd Lot, the pool was clear. Ran pump overnight and the next morning, water was crystal clear.

As you can see, a lot depends on closing, opening, cover, and what you use or do not use. The later you close, the Poly-Quat is not needed. The first 2 pools are friends that I help close. Process is less than 30 minutes as there are about 4 people in total.

My safety cover is solid. Looks like I'll close the first week of Oct and use Poly-Quat. I'll bring chlorine to slam level and let it come down 3 or 4 days before adding Poly-Quat and closing. I'll definitely open first or second week of may. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.