SLAM is Done! Now What?

SusW4

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 20, 2019
Virginia
Thanks to TFP we are almost ready to swim after opening our pool a week ago (has taken 3 weeks in the past.) Completed the overnight test and here are my numbers this morning:

FC 18.5 (we SLAMed at higher level because we had some black algae around pool lights)
CC .5
Ph Didn’t bother testing due to high chlorine. Was 7.2 when we started SLAM. Assuming it’s higher due to rain & addition of water.
TA 110
CH 180
CYA 30
Salt 3000

So, now that balancing can begin, here are my questions:
- In what order should I balance each item?
- Adding CYA will lower Ph some, right?
- When should we add salt? Will that increase calcium hardness?
- What is an acceptable FC level to put on the actual SWG (we still just have the plain pipe on) ?

Thank you so much!
Sus

Reactions: splashpad
If you are confident all algae is gone, clear pool with no FC loss overnight,
  • I would start by letting the FC drift down "naturally" on it's own
  • For the CYA, you'll want to find a balance of not too high, but high enough to maintain a decent FC level. How intense is the sun/uv light directly on the pool? (That will be the true determination of your pool's CYA level) FC/CYA Levels
  • The recommended levels link aslo shows:
    • you'll want to slowly raise your CH (you can check PoolMath for how much you can use/what it adds)
    • Once the FC is under 10, you can start monitoring your PH & TA (the TA may need lowered to help slow PH drifting up quickly)

Last edited:
Reactions: SusW4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.