SLAM help! 33x52 Round Pool

mleclaire0205

Jul 9, 2021
Texas
I have been doing the SLAM method on my pool since Sunday. At this point I have added 14 gallons of liquid chlorine. Before I even started the SLAM process I drained my pool by 70% due to a high CYA and refiled with fresh water. I am seeing no change in color to the pool. This is today's readings:
FC: 5.47 ppm
CC: 0.2 ppm
CYA: 70 ppm
TA: 163 ppm
CH: 101 ppm

How many gallons of liquid chlorine could I possible need? I feel like 14 is already a lot. I have been vacuuming to waste and brushing everyday. I am also backwashing the pump daily and running is 24/7. This is our first year with a pool and it turned green overnight. Please help!!!

pool.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I see a few issues we need to address:
- How are you testing your water? If it's not from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit that needs to be priority #1.
- If your CYA actually is 70, you are nowhere near high enough at the proper FC SLAM level of 28 as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
- Where in TX are you? That water is not only green, it's a brilliant green, Do you fill from a well?
- Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. It's references on each post.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I see a few issues we need to address:
- How are you testing your water? If it's not from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit that needs to be priority #1.
- If your CYA actually is 70, you are nowhere near high enough at the proper FC SLAM level of 28 as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
- Where in TX are you? That water is not only green, it's a brilliant green, Do you fill from a well?
- Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. It's references on each post.

- How are you testing your water? If it's not from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit that needs to be priority #1.: It is ordered and should be here on Friday
- If your CYA actually is 70, you are nowhere near high enough at the proper FC SLAM level of 28 as noted on the FC/CYA Chart.: I took a sample by my local pool store yesterday and that is where I got the CYA value.
- Where in TX are you? That water is not only green, it's a brilliant green, Do you fill from a well?: I am in East Texas, and it is not filled from a well
- Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. It's references on each post.: I have just corrected this, I'm sorry I'm completely new here!

How many gallons of liquid chlorine is to many? I'm trying to get to the SLAM level of 28, but even after 17 gallons of liquid chlorine I'm still not there. The pool is more of a murky green now, it is no longer florescent green. I am backwashing daily, and vacuuming to waste. Should I have added all the chlorine at one time instead over a period of time? Could that have been my issue? I'm hoping that once I get my test kit that I can get a better handle on the testing and where I stand.
Thanks,

To give you some perspective, it would take about 8 gallons of 10% chlorine to increase the FC from zero to 28. But for now I wouldn't try to do too much. Just add one or two gallons per day to keep things from getting worse without wasting too much chlorine. Once you get your test kit, please confirm all test levels and post back. That's when we can really get specific about a course of action. The testing is that important. We'll be watching. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.