SLAM Criteria Disagreement

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
"DE clears faster but if ever you have algae -> "OHMYZGOSH I hate this filter!!" Requires a LOT of attention if algae present.
Sand filters- easy to use, just slowest to clear. BUT- you can add a layer of DE to the sand filter via the skimmer and it will speed things up!

Maddie :flower:

magiteck

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Neenah, Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is that true? I wasn’t aware of that.
Yes. DE filters can filter down to 3 microns. Cartridge filters, 10 microns. Sand filters, 30 microns.

So any particles larger smaller than that won’t get filtered out, impacting water clarity.

Last edited:

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Yes. DE filters can filter down to 3 microns. Cartridge filters, 10 microns. Sand filters, 30 microns.

So any particles larger than that won’t get filtered out, impacting water clarity.

I think you meant to say "particles smaller than that won't get filtered out".

A filter will retain particles larger than the pore size and let through particles smaller than the pore size of the membrane or filtration material.

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
+1. A dirty filter will clean better than a clean one until it’s clogged.

Also want to extend my offer to invite anyone over to spot those few microns (millionths of an inch) difference with my cartridges. I will supply the beer and you will be blackout before you find any. But good times will be had, so there is that.

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Yeah. I think the difference between DE and cartridge is pretty hard to tell. Maybe at night with the pool light on, you'll be able to notice a few less drifters floating by the light but that's about it. Sand filters with a little DE added can also be OK for most people, and very easy to maintain. I used to have a sand filter prior to upgrading to the DE and it was fine...just took longer for the pool to sparkle after opening for the season.

TexEdmond

Gold Supporter
Jun 16, 2021
Edmond, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Cloudy water can only be caused by two things. Algae or having high PH. High PH alone won't cause cloudy water but it's a big contributing factor. Having high Calcium is also problematic but if your PH is in line it should not be an issue.

Right, that's what I said. And during a weeks-long SLAM, when the normal pH measurement method won't work, seems like it'd be easy for a pool's pH to creep up and cause chemically cloudy water. Maybe there's something I've missed, but it doesn't make sense in my head to say, "Well, if you take all these variables and just ignore them, or if you'd have been taking better care of things, then this method works just fine." If I was a betting man, I'd say there's a huge number of people coming to this site for the first time with green / cloudy water and they simply haven't had time to get their pool on this program, and it'd be unfortunate that they had a bad first impression of the site or the method and went back to the pool store way. I'm one of them. It's fortunate that the cloudiness I experienced was because my well water's alkalinity combined with the increased temps down here was causing some calcium to show up. Other folks aren't that lucky. That's all I'm trying to communicate, I'm not trying to criticize or debunk or ask for proof or say anybody's wrong.

magiteck

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Neenah, Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I think you meant to say "particles smaller than that won't get filtered out".

A filter will retain particles larger than the pore size and let through particles smaller than the pore size of the membrane or filtration material.
Correct, thanks. One too many sips from my red solo cup ...

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.