Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
I have a 21k inground vinyl pool. The shallow end is slightly cloudy. The deep end is slightly green cloudy. I just finished raising the CYA in preparation to turn on the SWG. I going to start slamming today because of the CC, and cloudiness. Do you think the high TA, CH and salt is going to to be a problem now or down the road?
The water parameters according to TF-100 is
CC 1.
pH 7.2
TA 130
CYA 70
FC 1.
CH 325
Salt 4000
Thanks everyone.
Joe

Bummer that you raised the CYA up to the maintenance level and now have to follow the SLAM Process. Much easier to do that at a lower CYA level.

Depending on the accuracy of the salt level, that can be a bit high for an Aquarite SWCG. But you get rain so you should be able to lower the salinity. The TA will come down as you keep your pH in the 7's.

Thanks mk.
To raise the FC would it be better to use liquid chlorine 10% or liquid shock 12.5%?

Yes. I just looked at the CYA chart/slam. I would need double the amount of chlorine.
Because I need to use a lot of chlorine what you take On using a granular shock it’s 53% hypochlorite. Save me some $$$.

What is the CH of your pool water?

Be very careful adding cal hypo to a liner pool, it can stain the liner if it sits on it. The cal hypo should be dissolved in a bucket and the solids leftover not poured in the pool.

I would not use cal hypo. Your liner pool does not need calcium to start with and yours, if it goes much higher, you will need to manage much more closely to keep your SWCG from creating scale.

One of three things that have to occur that you know you can stop SLAM is that the combined chlorine (CC) must be below .5. In the TF-100 kit there is the Taylor K-1000 test kit. It contains a CI test, is that the same as a combined chlorine test?
Thanks,
Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,
I’m in the in the process of SLAMING my pool. I’m starting to run low on sodium hypochlorite 10% can I use calcium hypochlorite 68% as a replacement?

My calcium is 300 ppm. The pool is 21k inground, vinyl liner.

Thanks

Keep in mind you are increasing your CH by about 0.7ppm for every 1ppm of Cl.
Just make sure your CSI stays in safe levels to avoid scaling issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.