SLAM Advice

Feb 5, 2017
El Paso, TX
Being a noob, I have some questions regarding if I should SLAM or not. Yesterday and I did a OCLT because I found two places of random yellow stains in spa that would not brush off but would lighten with the application of a puck, the OCLT passed with losing 1.0 ppm of FC and O CC.

However, last night I noticed this stain at the bottom of my pool water (not the best picture) but it's yellow in nature and like the others won't brush off and the automatic vacuum cleaner won't pick it up. So another OCLT was performed, same results. FC loss of 1.0 ppm and 0 CC.

My water is clear. So I'm wondering is this algae? Should I go forward with the SLAM process?

Testing times for both OCLT and FC levels (were identical):

2100: 6.5 FC/ 0 CC
0645: 5.5 FC/ 0 CC

My CYA is 40. Question about that too. I live in El Paso, and other threads I've read have mentioned to raise CYA levels to about 50-60 to combat the heat and sun exposure? Is that something I should do now?

Thanks.

0b9a79005d81431cbb91ea54edab099a.jpg
44eda68a225d45991c3601608af17232.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answers to your questions first.
No don't raise cya before a SLAM Process, the instructions for a SLAM Process are in the link. It recommends SLAMing with CYA at 30.
Yes, in hot summer with full TX sun on the pool you will want your CYA at 50 to 60 to better protect the FC from the sun.

Is the water warm enough to jump in and feel that stain? My guess is that it is an organic stain from some tree debris or something. In that case raising FC up to between 12 and 16, for CYA at 40, and brushing the spot several times per day will remove the stain.

More here about diagnosing stains, Pool School - Pool Stains

Okay. So raise the CYA after I get rid of the stain. Too easy.

And no, the water temp is 64, a bit chilly for me to take the plunge! So to be on the safe sauce, raise the FC between 12-16 for a few days, until the stain disappears? Also, should I maintain the FC at those levels 24/7 like I would during a SLAM? Or just raise the FC and let it fall until it's time to add additional chlorine the next day?

That's what I would do if you are done with the Slam, and have passed all the reqs. Make that your new daily target for a few days, and see if it fades. Brush it too as he said, but you should see improvements in a few to seveal days if it is organic from tree fall or similar. See how that goes, and let us know.

Here's an update:

Since Saturday, I've kept my FC between 12-16 and brushed till I was blue in the face! Additionally, I've manually vacuumed and the automatic vacuum cleaner runs daily. Yet the stain still persists!!!

I'm not sure why or what it is but I cannot get rid of it. Of note, the stain is directly underneath the water pipe which allows us to fill the pool when necessary.

Would that have anything to do with it/ or caused it? Or should I just ignore until it's warm enough to take the plunge and personally investigate it?

Thanks for the advice

Maybe take a PVC pipe that is long enough to reach the area while you are standing on the side of the pool. The end of the pipe should almost rest on the area. Then carefully and slowly pour in muratic acid and see if that begins to lift the stain. This works for me on tough organic stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.