SLAM a neglected Pool

monicagrace27

Jun 8, 2021
Saint Francis, MN
Moved from here.
Hi, welcome to TFP! Early in your slam if you can check hourly and add chlorine whenever the FC drops 5ppm or more the slam will progress more quickly. Take a photo at the same spot of the pool daily around the same time to be able to see the day to day progression.
Thank you for the tip! We just started adding chlorine and within an hour, it was back down to 1 ppm, then I added the amount to shock again and an hour later it was down to 3 ppm FC. Any idea how many chlorine adds it takes to get the FC to stay up? I already have to go get more chlorine again 😅
Also, I appreciate the tip about photos! I took one a couple of days ago and one today when I started adding chlorine, I’m excited to see the progression.

The pool will use as much chlorine as it takes to kill all of the algae. You could go through 5 gallons, or 50 gallons depending on how bad the pool is. Sometimes exchanging the water is a cheaper solution...all depends. Things that can help:

1. Keeping the FC at SLAM levels as religiously as possible. Know your CYA level. This means frequent testing and following the FC/CYA chart.
2. Brushing and vacuuming the pool regularly.
3. Cleaning the filter when filter pressure rises 25% over normal operating pressure.
4. Cleaning out light niches, stairs and other obstructions where algae can hide.
5. Running the pump continuously.

That sounds like a lot, but you also said in the original post that there is debris at the bottom. Frankly, you have no idea until your kit arrives, because the strips are more or less worthless.

For 28k gallons of water your best bet is to get as much debris out of the pool as you can and add a gallon of LC per day until you can get a panel of test results.
Thanks for the advice! I may just cancel my order and go to the pool store for the test since I don't want to delay this by a week due to shipping.

As for the debris, we have been spending about 1-2 hours per evening pulling leaves out of the pool followed by brushing the entire thing and vacuuming the entire thing (started this about a week ago, before beginning to add chlorine) and are at a point now where we get maybe 3-4 leaves per scoop with the net at the bottom of the pool compared to the full nets we were getting at the beginning. Unfortunately I can't see past the first foot or so in the water so I'm basically trying to clean it blind. Thank you for the tips!

Wouldn't a pool store have the FAS-DPD test kit?

Run by a teenager who will not even count the drops properly. I have watched them just squeeze solutions into your water and then write down what they want. Who is also told to sell you all sorts of other products.

Order this and stay out of the pool store. You cannot mix and match advice.

They might have the kit. The problem is that they don't follow our methods and will try to upsell you on things you don't need. I'd go there to purchase the kit (if they have one) but I'd never trust their results over mine. I'd never trust their "advice" over anything I learned here.

Following pool store advice brought me here. I ended up dumping roughly 18,000 gallons of water to fix my high CYA problem that resulted from following pool store advice. That's pricey when you have to have water trucked in. It also shortened the life of a new liner. It also cost me hundreds of dollars in chemicals I didn't need. I could go on but you get the idea.

Read the information here, ask questions and follow our advice. We won't sell you anything.

Reactions: monicagrace27
T
They might have the kit. The problem is that they don't follow our methods and will try to upsell you on things you don't need. I'd go there to purchase the kit (if they have one) but I'd never trust their results over mine. I'd never trust their "advice" over anything I learned here.

Following pool store advice brought me here. I ended up dumping roughly 18,000 gallons of water to fix my high CYA problem that resulted from following pool store advice. That's pricey when you have to have water trucked in. It also shortened the life of a new liner. It also cost me hundreds of dollars in chemicals I didn't need. I could go on but you get the idea.

Read the information here, ask questions and follow our advice. We won't sell you anything.
Oh okay, I see what you mean. I might go there to check if they sell the kit, but I'm very cheap anyhow and would say no to anything else.

Wouldn't a pool store have the FAS-DPD test kit?

Wait, I might have been hasty. Do they have the kit to sell? I dont know, most dont, but some do.

Just dont trust their testing. If they have a FAS-DPD kit to sell you but it to get started, but you will still need your TF-100. You will need to test CYA which I am sure they dont sell a test for, and they are the most inaccurate at measuring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the advice! I may just cancel my order and go to the pool store for the test since I don't want to delay this by a week due to shipping.

As for the debris, we have been spending about 1-2 hours per evening pulling leaves out of the pool followed by brushing the entire thing and vacuuming the entire thing (started this about a week ago, before beginning to add chlorine) and are at a point now where we get maybe 3-4 leaves per scoop with the net at the bottom of the pool compared to the full nets we were getting at the beginning. Unfortunately I can't see past the first foot or so in the water so I'm basically trying to clean it blind. Thank you for the tips!
Do not cancel your order. Please!?!?! For the love of all things holy, that is the last thing you want to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.