Skimmer PVC

jnz

Jun 8, 2012
Anyone know what type of fitting I would need to connect the skimmer outlet which has a slip for 1.5" hose to 1.5" pvc ?

techguy

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
Antelope, CA
Can you unscrew the slip fitting from the base of the skimmer leaving yourself with a 1 1/2 thread to slip coupling? See note in lower right of image.

jnz

Jun 8, 2012
It does unscrew, I am trying to install a ball valve both below the skimmer and one on the return fitting which also unscrews , then have my 1.5 hose connect after that

techguy

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
Antelope, CA
Option 1. Use a threaded coupling (nipple?) from the skimmer to a threaded ball valve and then the 1.5 threaded-x-1.5 hose barb you took out of the skimmer in the threaded valve body

Option 2. 1.5 thread-x-1.5 slip, glue in a short 1.5 Sch40 pipe and then the ball valve (slip-x-slip) to Sch40 to a coupling (slip-x-female thread) and then the hose barb.

There is also a 1.5 inch thread by thread ball vale at HomeDepots site.

jnz

Jun 8, 2012
Ok thank you. I guess it will all be determined by if my local stores have the threaded ball valve or not .

techguy

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
Antelope, CA
My Local Pool Store, that is an above ground dealer has some of these in stock. It may be a good idea to try HD Supply or some of the other more commercially focused stores for these larger sizes. It will all depend on you local market.

jnz

Jun 8, 2012
Had luck with the threaded ball valve, but no thread x thread adapters. Can electrical connectors be mated with plumbing ? I did not check the electrical section out.

tejensen

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2011
Middletown, NJ
Not sure if I understand correctly, but I believe that you are looking for something like this? If so its a Hayward SP729. I'm pretty sure that I got one at Leslie's, but I'm sure you could find a source online that might be cheaper.

Hope it helps.
Thanks
Tommy

Attachments

jnz

Jun 8, 2012
Yeahp that's the end result , a few more fittings and ill have something similar. Would have been great to find something like that locally.