Apr 20, 2022
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I have two skimmers (one on each end of my pool) and would like to see a bit more skimming action from them so am considering adjusting the balance a bit. I have done some reading on here about skimmer/main drain balancing and see that many suggest to have about 80-90% of flow to come from the skimmers and the rest from the main drain.

I have attached a few pics of my pad. Since it looks like both my skimmer valves are open all the way, is adjusting the balance as simple as closing the main drain valve a bit more? Any suggestions on how much? Any precautions before I make the adjustment?

Thanks all!

IMG_0410 (1).jpeg
IMG_0562.jpeg
IMG_0563.jpeg

Here's a visual.

full

Burke,

If you point the handle of the main drain valve straight down at the 6 o'clock position, it will shut off all the flow. If you want it open at all, I would just set the handle for 5:30. You will never know it is off.

Do both of your skimmers have operating weir doors? If not, they should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, they now both have functioning weir doors. One was missing when we bought the house but I noticed and fixed that back in early May.

I now closed the main drain valve off a bit (probably to about the 5:00 position) and will see if that creates a bit more action at the skimmers. Maybe I am chasing something that isn't going to be that noticeable.

Burke,

Main drains are just not needed. If you shut the main drain completely, you will never notice the difference. I have two rent house pools that have not had operating main drains for about 10 years. They have never had an issue.

Glad you added the weir doors as that is what makes a skimmer..... Skim. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.