Skimmer line clogged

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I just realized that my skimmer line has a clog. I had not paid much attention to the pool for past couple months and I was doing some vacuuming today and realized no suction. When I turn valve to only skimmer, the filter basket has no water flow at all, and the skimmer water is still. Here is what I have tried so far, but could use some more help:

I tried turning valve to pump then to skimmer multiple times to see if I could dislodge it or maybe pull an air pocket out. No luck. I took the Jandy valve top off to see if something was trapped at the elbow, then I tried running a hand snake from the valve side, but I couldn't get snake past the elbow. I tried running snake from skimmer and I can only get the snake about 6" into the hole. I tried a coat hanger and couldn't get it any further. I cut the pipe at the valve side, so I could get the snake in, and got it to go about 15' before it stopped. Not sure how the line runs or if there are any more elbow's to get it stuck on. I tried using shop vac to suck from skimmer side, and all I got was a bunch of water because I don't have a way to screw anything into the skimmer hole to create a tight connection. I tried using shop vac on the blower side and hooked it up to the pipe near valve where I cut it, and the skimmer water remained completely still. I am out of ideas. Thanks.

If you are able to isolate that line by closing any other valves/lines, you might consider pushing water backwards from the pump to the skimmer. Use a garden hose with rag wrapped around the hose at that opening to try and seal it a bit, or get a bladder-type blaster sold at many hardware stores that pushes water at a much higher pressure.

Reactions: BowserB
The line is isolated. I cut the pipe just after jandy valve so I could get a snake in. I was able to feed it about 20’ then no go. I got a bladder and stuck it in pipe on pump side and couldn’t get it loose. Also tried bladder on skimmer side. Nada. I am pretty sure blockage is right at the 90 degree elbow at bottom of skimmer. I don’t think my garden hose has enough psi to make a difference. As much as I like to solve these things myself, I think I am calling a guy I know that repairs pools.

• Sad
Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.