Skimmer lid raised above patio?

CraigW

Jul 27, 2018
Riva, MD
Dumb question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is this normal? I'm thinking this should be flush with the patio?

jimmythegreek

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Whoever did thise pavers never ur I for the skimmer body or lid. Homeowner did this one I'm guessing this is a new to you pool?

Gonna have to remove the cap and lid and cut the pavers and hope theres room to sink it

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
I'm assuming the patio is just laid? My guess would be something happened and they were unable to cut the pavers And hopefully will return to finish the job. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jimmythegreek

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
If you look carefully at picture the pavers are not cut to accept the lid housing of skimmer. They are set underneath the lid housing keeping it up. Theres no fix short of cutting pavers and adding material to keep lid at proper height

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
I am still thinking they just set the cover on there to mark out the cuts necessary in the pavers and will remove the cover and pavers, then cut and install the pavers and cover. They either lacked the proper equipment to cut the pavers or lacked the proper ambition to finish the job... Just guessin.......

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Have you discussed this with the poeple who did the work (pool builder/patio installer)? It's a safety hazard right now so talk to someone to get it fixed.

CraigW

Jul 27, 2018
Riva, MD
Yeah, it's on my "punch list". Not sure how they managed to do that one, other than maybe paver guy didn't understand/realize there was another piece going on top? They cut the pavers around the round portion, which is much more difficult than the correct square cuts.

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
Yeah, it's on my "punch list". Not sure how they managed to do that one, other than maybe paver guy didn't understand/realize there was another piece going on top? They cut the pavers around the round portion, which is much more difficult than the correct square cuts.
To get the square cuts correct they first need to make the round cut to get the pavers in then place the cover directly on top of the pavers to make the marks for the cover cuts.

jimmythegreek

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Make sure they add some base material to keep those pavers in place and keep the lid flush with the rest of the deck. I often see the skimmers sunk down after pavers are in for a while and in turn the pavers around skimmer shift and settle

CraigW

Jul 27, 2018
Riva, MD
Gotcha, thanks. They fixed it today, and they did fill in under the skimmer (without me even asking!). PB said it was just an oversight by his guy that originally did the pavers, since the skimmer lid wasn't in yet.

Reactions: zea3