Skimmer lid blows off HELP

alcary74

Jun 8, 2020
Shreveport, LA
Actuator valve went out. How do I know? I googled spa loosing water after pump shuts off. I opened the actuator and it was full of water. Replaced it. Now after a few days, I have air coming out of the jets and when the pump shuts off, the skimmer lid blows like Old Faithful. My friends freaked out, b/c that’s what they do. I would like to know how to fix it.
I’ve attached a pic of the unit from filter to pump. I know nothing of what the valves do. I’m guessing Skimmer Line, Main Drains and when the actuator turns, that is the spa something, idk.
HELP ME! ☺️

Attachments

• 5450DEE4-8EA6-47E4-8B10-2C4BCE184ABD.jpeg
    5450DEE4-8EA6-47E4-8B10-2C4BCE184ABD.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 27
Actuator valve went out. How do I know? I googled spa loosing water after pump shuts off. I opened the actuator and it was full of water. Replaced it. Now after a few days, I have air coming out of the jets and when the pump shuts off, the skimmer lid blows like Old Faithful. My friends freaked out, b/c that’s what they do. I would like to know how to fix it.
I’ve attached a pic of the unit from filter to pump. I know nothing of what the valves do. I’m guessing Skimmer Line, Main Drains and when the actuator turns, that is the spa something, idk.
HELP ME! ☺️

Attachments

• B03AA8ED-3551-4E7B-8398-891081389506.jpeg
    B03AA8ED-3551-4E7B-8398-891081389506.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 12

Just to be clear.. An actuator is mounted on top of a Jandy valve.. the actuator is not connected to water, so it would be odd for the actuator have water in it.. Possible, I guess, but odd.

If you replaced the actuator, did you move the actuator to the right position using the little on -off - on toggle switch on the back of the actuator??

I suspect that your actuator is 180 degrees out of the position it should be in. In theory both the Intake valve and the Return valve should both move together.. Both should be in the Pool mode at the same time and then both should move to the Spa mode at the same time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just to be clear.. An actuator is mounted on top of a Jandy valve.. the actuator is not connected to water, so it would be odd for the actuator have water in it.. Possible, I guess, but odd.

If you replaced the actuator, did you move the actuator to the right position using the little on -off - on toggle switch on the back of the actuator??

I suspect that your actuator is 180 degrees out of the position is should be in. In theory both the Intake valve and the Return valve should both move together.. Both should be in the Pool mode at the same time and then both should move to the Spa mode at the same time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Attachments

• DDD759FD-3C24-473A-A3EB-BE5E42929C3A.jpeg
    DDD759FD-3C24-473A-A3EB-BE5E42929C3A.jpeg
    780.6 KB · Views: 16
When I removed the cover of the actuator, it was full of water. The circuit board connect to the toggle ditch was corroded and had become detached and the motor was rusted and I’m assuming the water shorted it out. I know nothing about this stuff. Besides what I googled. I used the switch on the back of the valve to live up the handle and set the inside tabs, then turned it to the bottom position. All the pics I have before this happened shows the valve handle pointing left towards the pipe closest to the filter.

I suspect that your actuator is 180 degrees out of the position it should be in. In theory both the Intake valve and the Return valve should both move together.. Both should be in the Pool mode at the same time and then both should move to the Spa mode at the same time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

No doubt it got wet.. :mrgreen:

I need to see both automated valves at the same time...

Put your automation system in the Pool mode and show me pics of both automated valves.. Then put your system in the Spa mode and show me pics of both actuators again..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds to me like a suction side air leak. A big bubble gets formed inside the filter and it's compressed under whatever psi your filter runs. When the pump shuts off, it expands and expels water, apparently with great vigor.

Any problems with actuators is coincidental. You can;t have air coming out unless you have air going in somewhere.Start by looking for a vortex in the skimmer caused by low water or a sticking weir.

Sounds to me like a suction side air leak. A big bubble gets formed inside the filter and it's compressed under whatever psi your filter runs. When the pump shuts off, it expands and expels water, apparently with great vigor.

Any problems with actuators is coincidental. You can;t have air coming out unless you have air going in somewhere.Start by looking for a vortex in the skimmer caused by low water or a sticking weir.

Water is not low. There is not a weir. I thought there could be an air issue, but I have no idea where. When I take out the skimmer and check the two holes, is there suppose to be anything in them? I stuck a rod partially into one and there is definitely something partially blocking the hole. The water moves in a circular motion and if I pick the basket up, sometimes it’s makes a gulp sound.

There is only one automated valve. Is there suppose to be two?

I assume you have a pool with a spa.. If so, you should have two actuators..

When I look at your last pic, I see an Intake actuator in front of the pump and I see a valve just to the left of your Tab Feeder, that has several screws that are sticking up.. That valve should also have an actuator, called the Return actuator. The two actuators move together to switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode.

I agree with Richard that air is getting into the system. My goal is to make sure the system is working like it should, and see if that fixes your problem. If not, then try to find an air leak.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Why would the other actuator have been removed? That makes no sense. The one by the spa...what is the function? I am truly a novice when it comes to the actual function of the plumbing. I apologize in advance for all the questions. Also, it has always been like that. We have used the spa and up until the one had to be replaced there have been no issues. So, I’m
assuming both move in tandem but do the both set up the same and move in the same direction?

When you used the spa, did it overflow into the pool? If so, how did you heat the spa?

How did you currently switch between the Pool and the Spa operation..

I have no idea why the return actuator was removed...

With your automation system, both valves should move together.

If you don't want to replace the missing actuator, you can always just move the valves manually..

Do you know what the manual valve on the very right of your equipment pad does??

As a test, please tell me what happens when the Intake valve handle is pointed to the left, and the handle of the valve with the long screws is pointed to the right. I believe what should happen, is the the spa will no longer get any water and that all the water will come from the pool and go back to the pool. Please let me know if that is correct...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply. I guess the reason I’m having such a difficult time is because nothing is labeled on the plumbing. If I post pics of the setup, could you walk me through it?
Also, the spa hasn’t been used since the propane was switched to NG. I remember before that, I’d turn on the spa (push button) and turn on the blower button. Everything was automated and worked properly. Now, the heater doesn’t respond to the automated system and the actuator valve was removed, by whom my friends have no idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.