No, I’ve never seen that on a skimmer. Was it not there when you closed? Trying to think what could cause that type of hole.

My best guess is a drop of muriatic acid. Not sure how, but that is my only logical thought. I don't remember the last time using it.
No way, it would have had to sit on one spot without water and even then I'm not convinced it'll burn a hole. You wouldn't have been at the skimmer when no water is present and MA in your hand. That looks like it was deliberately done somehow or maybe an air bubble in the plastic from the manufacturing process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm trying to remember if there's a hollow cavity there that could hold water. If there is then freezing water is the likely winter culprit.

Yeah it is hollow it seems. It has no water in the winter, but if it was holding water in this hollow area it definitely could have frozen. Figure it might crack the plastic instead of making a hole, but if that is the weak spot it is possible.

All of the skimmer screws were tight so I didn't try to force them tighter. A gasket could be failing, but hard to know.

Last night I put clear packing tape over it and it stopped the leak, so it is very low pressure water. I'm going to look for "epoxy putty" today that works on ABS plastic to fill the hole.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.