skimmer float valve - installation tips

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
I am finally getting around to doing a partial drain and refill to correct my inherited high CYA (at least 150 ppm) problem.

I homebuilt a filter drain-to-hose adapter, so a small slipstream from the main pump flow is being sent to waste. My problem is that once the pool level went below the skimmer level, I started getting quite a few air bubbles. I suspected that the Swimquip (Sta-rite, now Pentair) float valve assembly might be at fault. So I went down to my trusted (?!?) local Leslie's and picked up a brand new float valve assembly (08650-0079) that also came with a new o-ring.

After getting the new float valve, I see that the old existing float valve was completely missing the "trimmer plate" that apparently adjusts the percentage of skimmer flow versus main drain flow. With a missing "trimmer plate" I see that all of my flow was coming from the skimmer and none was coming from the main drain. Oh, and the 6-inch diameter o-ring was completely missing, which would certainly help explain the suction air leak that I have been fighting.

My main concern for installation is how to not lose the 6-inch diameter, 1/8-inch thick 0-ring down the skimmer suction line. I am thinking about installing this o-ring with the Leslie's lubricant, which starts out as fairly sticky and only gets more so with age. Is this adequate so that I will not lost this o-ring, or should I be considering "gluing" this o-ring in place with something like gasket glue?

Thanks for any ideas and comments.

Titanium

I went ahead and installed the 6-inch diameter o-ring into the skimmer o-ring slot with just the o-ring lube from Leslie's. So far so good in that it is staying in place. Even better is that the suction side air leak that I have been fighting during this partial pool drain has gone away.

Side note: This partial drain and refill business is a real pain. I am only getting 1 inch of water removed from the pool every 60-90 minutes, so this whole process seems like it is taking forever.

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.