Skimmer Equalizing port


Well-known member
Mar 8, 2017
So when our skimmer was installed, they installed a skimmer with an equalizing port. News to me, wasn't expecting that but ok.

My question is, what kind of wall fitting do people install on this?

I bought Penatir 542423 2 inch slip fitting for the PVC pipe, but what should I put inside that? I can't seem to find any wall fitting for a clean look.

I read this about the float assembly, so I'll buy one of those.
What is needed for a skimmer to utilize its equalizer port? Float or equalizer valve?

but how does one finish the wall fitting side of it?

I did install a separate dedicated Vacuum line, so this is more of a fail safe for when the pool drops 2 feet of water lol.


TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
It's usually just an open hole in the wall with no special trim. If somehow the skimmer basket gets plugged or the water level drops too low, the diverter closes and water is drawn in through that opening. Otherwise, it's just there. Here's how it works. In your case, substitute "port" for main drain. You'll leave the flapper in the wide open position, or even just remove ot.



Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

Mine have a fittings that looks like a very large eyeball. I think it would be pretty ugly with just the end of the pipe there.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.