Skimmer Diverter Upside Down?

Jul 11, 2016
Boise/ID
Move from HERE.

@Texas Splash I'm nearing the end of my pool build so this is great information you provided @etuser. Any reason why my pool builder would put the skimmer diverter upside-down? My plaster was done this passed Monday and it took nearly 48 hours to fill my pool. His minions came out the day (Wednesday) the pool was filled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perry,

I am not sure what you are calling a skimmer "diverter". :scratch: If you are talking about a Jandy valve, you can't really install them upside down???

Pics would help a lot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Perry,

I forgot about those, as most new pools do not use them, as the Main drain is connected to the equipment pad..

Are these for an equalizer line, or is your main drain plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer?

Sure does look to be upside down to me, compared to others I have seen. But maybe it is a different kind.. :scratch:

Any idea what brand your skimmer is? My pool builder gave me manuals on all the equipment, including the skimmers.

I have a Hayward Skim Master and the "Float Valve" looks very similar to yours and is installed with the movable tab down.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim

My skimmer is a Pentair Sta-Rite U3. I went fishing for the owner's manual in one of the empty boxes outside. My pool builder hasn't been as after-the-sale customer oriented as I would've liked so there wasn't him either telling what needs to be done or at the least throwing the manuals at me. They did put the diverter upside down but I have no idea why. I'm stuck between wanting to assume they are doing things for a reason or going around trying to make sure everything is correct. I'm having this problem with the new plaster install too. My plaster was done this past Monday and water filled on Wednesday. I haven't received my pool equipment per the contract and I had to ask on Thursday if I should start brushing the plaster. He replied "YES!" but then said the pool person will come to the house on Friday or Saturday to bring me my pool equipment. o_O Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks for your help Jim.

Perry,

I can see why they installed it wrong, after looking at the manual... http://www.pentairpoolme.com/uploads/document/file/591/Manual_U-3_Skimmers.pdf

It shows the floating valve upside down, so you can see the moving flap.. But it is clear, after you read a little bit, that it needs to be installed with the moving flap pointed down..

Picking a good pool builder is never guaranteed no matter how well you vet them... :(

I suggest that you flip it over..

Let's hope they can get the equipment installed today..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Perry,

Do you have a pipe opening about 18" below each skimmer??? If so, then that is what the floating valve is for.. Just in case the water gets too low it will start sucking through the port below the skimmer. I have had my pool almost 6 years, and have never used them..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.