Skimmer diverter question

sherimots

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Central California
I have 2 Waterways skimmers, with diverter valves under the baskets. I'm trying to figure out the best placement for the flaps. Underneath, there appears to be 2 pipes, assuming 1 goes to the main drain (I do have 2 main drains), and the other 1 to the filter. I've tried different positions with the diverter valve, and either get 1 skimmer working, or the other. I haven't been able to figure out if the main drain is sucking or not.

Here's a picture, the pool is to the left; equipment pad/deep end of pool is toward the bottom of the pic:
[attachment=0:218mq5wc]IMG00097-20100707-1412.jpg[/attachment:218mq5wc]

Thanks!

Sheri

Attachments

• IMG00097-20100707-1412.jpg
    IMG00097-20100707-1412.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 236
Your diverter should have a float in it. The way I get my main drain to work 100% is to put the diverter in the skimmer with the flap wide open, then hold the skimmer door closed so all the water gets sucked out of the skimmer. When that happens the float in the diverter drops and plugs the skimmer. At that point the main drains are the only path for the water. I'm not sure if thats the "proper" way to do it but it gets the job done.

Normaly I set the diverter flap about 3/4 closed so that all the kids float toys dont get sucked into the skimmer as quickly.

sherimots said:
I have 2 Waterways skimmers, with diverter valves under the baskets. I'm trying to figure out the best placement for the flaps. Underneath, there appears to be 2 pipes, assuming 1 goes to the main drain (I do have 2 main drains), and the other 1 to the filter. I've tried different positions with the diverter valve, and either get 1 skimmer working, or the other. I haven't been able to figure out if the main drain is sucking or not.

Here's a picture, the pool is to the left; equipment pad/deep end of pool is toward the bottom of the pic:
[attachment=0:4ss9mzv6]IMG00097-20100707-1412.jpg[/attachment:4ss9mzv6]

Thanks!

Sheri
How I set mine was to watch the turbulence inside the skimmer for a minute, then set the diverter to halfway and dropped it in. I watched that for a while, decided it was too slow, so out with the diverter for an adjustment, then back in. To my eye, turbulence inside the skimmer now is about 3/4 or what it was at 100% skimmer.

Skimmers don't really pull that hard now, with the safety covers. It takes practice, but try pushing a leaf at it with the brush, when it passes right over an opening, does it get drawn in, or slide on by? I suppose now that it's warm enough, I would test it by swimming down with some food coloring, squeeze out a few drops, and see if they get pulled in. But I wasn't about to try it in winter - I don't own a wetsuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.