Skimmer basket restricting pump flow

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I put a large rock in my skimmer basket to keep it from floating up and have done so for years. Within the last 7 days it seems every single day the pump basket is floating upwards on it side and restricting the weir door from opening. So my pump makes these horrible noises and I keep having to go outside and push it down so the pump gets water. Any idea what could be causing this out of the blue? is the solution simply a larger rock? The rock I have in now is kind of big but I could go bigger, like the entire diameter of the basket? Thanks

So we know the basket will tend to rise when there isn't sufficient water suction/flow to keep it pulled down, hence the rock when the pump is off. Why a rock wouldn't hold the basket down is a mystery to me. But when the pump is running, there should be adequate water flow, so I'm thinking something is slowing your water flow. Thoughts would be:
- Weir door not operating properly (getting stuck)
- Suction line partially blocked restricting flow
- Suction side valve partially closed
- Filter dirty preventing good water suction

Maybe others will have more ideas.

I am at a loss… my skimmer basket “locks” into place - i have a hydrotools skimmer.
There are notches on the basket that fit under ears in the skimmer so i can align it & twist.
7640E87D-07F6-492A-8DB5-9BA483636FD1.jpegB8CB4B7C-66A6-4DCC-B22B-0A3F71931EB3.jpeg
what kind of skimmer do u have?

A common cause is air in the filter from a suction leak or from low water level in the skimmer. The air is compressed in the filter while the pump is running. When the pump shuts off, the air expands and forces water backwards through the skimmer line which lifts the basket. Similar effect if the equipment is substantially higher than the water level in the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.