Skimmer basket issues

S.smith

Jun 10, 2019
Michigan
I just hooked up a new pump and filter on my 24’ round pool. Everything seems to be working fine, but have one issue. If the skimmer basket has a couple pieces of small debris it prohibits water from getting to the pump And the water level goes down about 1/2 in the pump. If I take the skimmer basket out, it runs beautifully. (Water to the top of lid of pump). Could my skimmer basket holes be to small? I’m dumbfounded.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please provide pictures of the skimmer and basket. This certainly does not sound right.

Also add your pool and equipment details to your signature.

Reactions: S.smith

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That is not the issue.....the basket is fine. It sounds like your weir door is getting stuck so water can't flow freely from the pool to the skimmer.

That looks like the incorrect basket for the skimmer. That's not the cause, either, but it should fit better.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Actually I think that basket could be the problem. It looks like it is sitting completely on the bottom of the skimmer and not suspended above the bottom of the skimmer. So, water can only be drown into the plumbing in the middle of the bottom of the basket. As soon as there are a few leaves in the middle of the bottom, the pump will not be able to pull water in.

The basket should be suspended by its rim so that even if there is debris on the bottom of the basket, water can still be pulled in through the sides of the basket and then down and below the basket into the pipes.

You need the correct basket ... or at least one that is not as tall.

S.smith

Jun 10, 2019
Michigan
Actually I think that basket could be the problem. It looks like it is sitting completely on the bottom of the skimmer and not suspended above the bottom of the skimmer. So, water can only be drown into the plumbing in the middle of the bottom of the basket. As soon as there are a few leaves in the middle of the bottom, the pump will not be able to pull water in.

The basket should be suspended by its rim so that even if there is debris on the bottom of the basket, water can still be pulled in through the sides of the basket and then down and below the basket into the pipes.

You need the correct basket ... or at least one that is not as tall.
Thanks everyone for your comments and help. I’ll go to the place where I purchased my pool years ago. It is not the original basket.

S.smith

Jun 10, 2019
Michigan
That is not the issue.....the basket is fine. It sounds like your weir door is getting stuck so water can't flow freely from the pool to the skimmer.

That looks like the incorrect basket for the skimmer. That's not the cause, either, but it should fit better.
Thanks. I’m going to try a different basket.