Skimmer Basket Floating (Pump running 24 hrs on startup)

Vukota12

Jul 3, 2020
New Jersey
Started up yesterday morning after finally getting plaster over the weekend and twice upon checking skimmer it’s floating. It’s 48’ DE Hayward filter and a 2 Hp vsp jandy pump that’s been running continues (at what speed I do not know that part of pool school is scheduled later this week) Thank Yoi.

Do you have water coming out of the returns in the pool? Sounds like pump is running too slow and/or filter plugged.

Put a rock in the skimmer basket to keep it from floating up.

Some replacement skimmer baskets have a weighted bottom to prevent floating.

ahhhh, I see now :) Mine has never done it.. It will get water logged here in the next month and should stay down... like other have said, just throw a small rock in it...

• Love
Reactions: Vukota12
My skimmer basket has "flat spots" on either side that engage with tabs inside the skimmer. Align the flat spots with the skimmer tabs then rotate the basket just enough to engage the tabs (I do about 1/8th of a turn). The photo below isn't the basket that I have, but you can see what I mean by flat spots.

1627993475921.png

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure the "rock" you use is larger than the plumbing pipe. I had the same problem when we first started out. I almost dropped the rock in the skimmer with the basket out. Don't want to get the rock stuck in the pipe. My question for you is how is the basket floating if the skimmers are drawing water? Mine only floated when the pump was off. Are you sure the skimmers are "on"?

I have since gotten these for my skimmers:

Make sure the "rock" you use is larger than the plumbing pipe. I had the same problem when we first started out. I almost dropped the rock in the skimmer with the basket out. Don't want to get the rock stuck in the pipe. My question for you is how is the basket floating if the skimmers are drawing water? Mine only floated when the pump was off. Are you sure the skimmers are "on"?

I have since gotten these for my skimmers:

Pump is definitely on.

I'm not a PB, just a pool owner, but my skimmers were always opened and operating, even during plaster curing. That makes sense, as the only time the skimmer basket would float is if the pump is off, or the skimmers are closed.

You can tell if the skimmers are operating if there's water flowing into them. If it's just still water, then they are shut off and need to be opened at the equipment pad. You can have both the skimmers and main drain open at the same time.

It’s start up for my pool? Shouldn’t they be closed and main drains only open? Maybe that is the problem? How can I tell if skimmers are open or closed?

You want skimmers open and pump on as soon as water is filled.

The first task is to filter out all the plaster dust from the water before it settles on and hardens on the p[ool surface. For that you need the skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.