Skimmer basket dislodges when pump turned back on

skurys

Apr 25, 2012
Anyone have any ideas about this? Whenever I turn the pump off and back on, I think the pressure change when it turns off makes the basket pump out of place in the skimmer.

I have been considering getting a timer to turn the pool filter on and off at regular intervals but it kinda negates that if I have to put the basket back in place each time.

hawkeye

Jun 27, 2009
davenport,iowa
Find something like a rock or something similar size but a little weight is what's important here then shut pump off and on till you don't see basket move.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

skurys

Apr 25, 2012
JasonLion said:
Also, open the air bleed valve on the filter and let out any air that might have accumulated in the filter.
Is that the unscrewable cap thats on the side near the bottom of the filter?

yeggim

Jul 2, 2010
Philly
Does your skimmer basket have two flats opposite each other? By that I mean if you look down at the basket, the top rim is circular except for two flat areas. Something like this but with another straight line at the top.(_) On mine those flats fit between two tabs in the skimmer. Once seated a slight turn of the basket will lock it in when the circular portion of the basket rim slides under those tabs in the skimmer.

skurys

Apr 25, 2012
No, mine, if looking from the top, is round with a flat spot that aligns with the skimmer, so it only seats property in one orientation, but this strangely only would prevent it from spinning in a circle, and does nothing to keep it from bobbing up and down. Ah well, I'll try with a small rock :)

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
skurys said:
No, mine, if looking from the top, is round with a flat spot that aligns with the skimmer, so it only seats property in one orientation, but this strangely only would prevent it from spinning in a circle, and does nothing to keep it from bobbing up and down. Ah well, I'll try with a small rock :)
A BIG rock - bigger than your skimmer pipe, so there's absolutely no way it can ever accidently get caught in the plumbing

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I have always used a rock ... bigger than the pipe.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)