Skim-A-Round modification

Bandit5

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I have a Kafko skimmer on my pool and have been having issues with the skimmer basket. The short tab on the top to lift it up breaks off easily, even after applying epoxy which lasted about 2 months. I did modify one with a universal handle that seems to work ok, but at the same time I ordered a Skim-A-Round skimmer to replace that basket. I really didn't care for the gimmick, but I figured that it may be better that the regular basket. It actually does seem to work well once I got it working. I had to call the company for them to send a ring that fit my odd skimmer, since the 3 that come with it do not work, but that wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, the "float when off" feature does not seem to be a good idea for my application. My weir (which I modified) works very well, and when it floats and then starts up again, a lot of the debris gets past the skimmer and into my pump basket before it seats. Also, it does not always fully seat. So now I am modifying it to stay in place instead of floating when the filter is off. I removed the foam under the top section with some needle nose pliers easily enough, and then I drilled a few holes through the top of that section so that it will not trap air when it seats. This seems to be an 80% solution as it seems to sit much lower, but it can still unseat when the filter is off. I am trying to think of the best way to weight it down. Since the thing is in two pieces with the top piece being the one that seats, I would like to add weight to that. But what can I put in there that will weight it down and last without rusting or becoming disgusting. I was thinking about bending a piece of steel and shaping it to fit where the foam used to be, but I am almost positive that will rust. So, as I brainstorm other ideas, does anyone else have an idea of what I can do to make this work?

That sure is simpler than cutting peices of flat metal to fit into the foam area and then coating them with flex seal and gluing them in. But it is certainly easier. I will try that. But if it causes the skimmer basket to disconnect from the top, then I will try my complicated method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.