Sizing SWG for 60k gal

Baumeister

Bronze Supporter
Jul 11, 2018
Auburn,CA
Hey dizydizy which pump did you get? I've manage a neighborhood 60k gallon pool. We're using a single 3HP Pentair IntellifloXF Variable Speed pump with great success, this is its 6th year running nearly constantly and fully exposed. We have 4 skimmers, 2 drains and 8 returns. The pool is L-shaped and nearly 50 years old, one end of the "L" has a 9' deep end for a diving board, the other end is 2' sloping down to 5'. We're inspected regularly by county health. The pump doesn't meet the current turnover requirements but we're grandfathered in on that. We run full speed when we're open and 24/7 when we have high bather load/high temps, but other times we're able to run at half-speed or less. That saves us a TON in electricity, sometimes up to 75%. One constraint is we need approx half-speed for our Intellichem monitor's flow cell to operate without locking out. Pump basket seal is an annual maintenance item for us. Looking at the electrical service(since replaced) this install used to run 2 parallel 240v pumps on manual timers, not at all sure what size they were.

dizydizy

May 13, 2015
New Jersey
Hey dizydizy which pump did you get? I've manage a neighborhood 60k gallon pool. We're using a single 3HP Pentair IntellifloXF Variable Speed pump with great success, this is its 6th year running nearly constantly and fully exposed. We have 4 skimmers, 2 drains and 8 returns. The pool is L-shaped and nearly 50 years old, one end of the "L" has a 9' deep end for a diving board, the other end is 2' sloping down to 5'. We're inspected regularly by county health. The pump doesn't meet the current turnover requirements but we're grandfathered in on that. We run full speed when we're open and 24/7 when we have high bather load/high temps, but other times we're able to run at half-speed or less. That saves us a TON in electricity, sometimes up to 75%. One constraint is we need approx half-speed for our Intellichem monitor's flow cell to operate without locking out. Pump basket seal is an annual maintenance item for us. Looking at the electrical service(since replaced) this install used to run 2 parallel 240v pumps on manual timers, not at all sure what size they were.
I went with CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump - 3.0 THP. Price with bundle was attractive. However the fact that it has onboard schedule, but no relay switch of some kind as safety for heater for example, is a bit frustrating.

Baumeister

Bronze Supporter
Jul 11, 2018
Auburn,CA
Sorry for late response...thanks for info. My IntelliFloXF only has freeze protection relay. Using onboard scheduler.
Our Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heater's flow sensor is pretty sensitive, it'll shut down quickly if the pump is running less than 1900rpm or so.
I schedule the heater externally by time only(not temp) via a basic 240v Hot Water heater timer. Crude but works well to only run the heater during open hours and when the pump is scheduled to be running at more than 2000rpm.