Sizing DE Pool Filter

dcjpensacola

Mar 11, 2021
Pensacola
Hi!

I have a 22k gallon in-ground salt pool, my pump is 1.5hp. I am replacing my ancient sand filter w/ a new DE filter. I have one picked out but I just want a second opinion...thoughts?

This is the one I am looking at (Hayward Pro Grid DE filter, 48sq ft):

My second opinion is to dump the mess of DE/Sand and get a cartridge filter instead. DE filters are obsolete and back from the days when they thought the filter was what made the water clear. Cartridge filters require almost no maintenance simply clean the cartridges once a season (takes about an hour). No multiport valves or grids to fail or water to backwash.

My second opinion is to dump the mess of DE/Sand and get a cartridge filter instead. DE filters are obsolete and back from the days when they thought the filter was what made the water clear. Cartridge filters require almost no maintenance simply clean the cartridges once a season (takes about an hour). No multiport valves or grids to fail or water to backwash.
Do you have a product recommendation? Or a size recommendation based on the specs I provided? Do you think 200sq ft would be sufficient?

@dcjpensacola Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is so you do not need to repeat it everytime you ask a question.
For 22k gals, I would go with a 300 to 400sq ft cartridge filter. You do not state if you have a VS pump other than 1.5hp but if you do that works great with a cartridge filter but a single speed works also and the larger filter area will reduce pressure drop across it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm curiious as to why you want to get rid of a sand filter that allows you to lower your pool level after those notorious FL rains? You can always add a bit of DE to your sand filter and get the benefits of it.
I find my sand filter so easy to deal with I can't imagine getting rid of it at this point?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.