Silver Supporter
May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there a way to calculate the optimum size for a swcg? Or at least understand pump run time given size. The ic15 for example how long would I need to run to give 1ppm fc increase in a 10000 litre pool

James, the info below should help you. If you still have questions, please let us know.

Is there a way to calculate the optimum size for a swcg?
Rule of thumb is to get an SWG rated for at least twice the size of your pool. This allows the SWG to run at a less percentage output thereby extending the life of the cell.

Or at least understand pump run time given size.

The ic15 for example how long would I need to run to give 1ppm fc increase in a 10000 litre pool
You can obtain the projected output of that SWG or any other by using the PoolMath APP. It has a section on the menu for Effects of Adding Chemicals. Look for SWGs, click on the magnifying glass icon to select a model, and you can play with the settings to see how much FC should be producted.

I found the bit on pool math, so looks like about 8 hours run time at 50% for the IC15 to do 1ppm. Which I think is about what but pool uses each day.

I’ve found a second hand IC15 that looks in good nick. Seems as if it slightly on the small side but would do the job -thanks.

James,

If by "glazed structure" you mean clear glass that would let the UV light to get to the pool, then I'd go with a larger cell.

That said, if your pool only uses 1 ppm of FC per day, then an IC15 will work fine.

I agree with your percent of output and run time calculations..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: UKjames
Thanks Jim. I find I’m adding about 250ml of 14/15% sodium hypochlorite a day which is a bit less than 1 I think. As you say ideally I’d go bigger but they seem to be an import over here in the uk so quite spendy!

i need to get my CSI under control first before I fit one though!

per my other thread I’m looking at going sw. just wondering what sort of maintenance is needed.

How precise/often does salt level need to be checked/updated?

Are there any alternatives to the k1766 that are any good?

James,

The salt does not get used up, but some gets splashed out with the pool water.. Most cells have a low salt warning..

I have no idea what is compatible with the Taylor K-1766, as they are easy to come by here.

What salt test kits are available in the UK?

The cell will operate over a pretty wide range.. About 2800 to 4500 or so.

The main reason to have a salt test kit is because you need to know the actual salt level vs. what the cell says it is.. If the numbers are close, then every thing is fine.. If there is a drastic difference between the actual salt level and what the cell "thinks" the salt level is, it tends to indicate a problem with the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are there any alternatives to the k1766 that are any good?
There are electronic salinity meters. You get what you pay for. The big thing is to be sure it measuring NaCl, not just general salinity.

I have a Hayward salinity tester. Hayward Handheld Digital Salt Meter GLX-SALTMETER. It works for me as my salt level does not change because my pool never overflows. The meter was given to me. Not sure I would spend the $170USD for it!

Great thanks.
Do I need much of a straight pipe run after a IC15 - space is a bit tight between the heater and return to the pool.
Also in terms of automation do you need to leave the pump on for a bit after the cell goes off or can they be on the same switch?

No straight pipe AFTER the cell is needed.
The cell and pump can be turned off at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.