Navarre/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
When I was running low on reagents, I made a reorder basically to use to refill my bottles in my Taylor test kit. I ordered the 16 oz bottles of the reagents with one exception, the R-8071 reagent. For the R-8071 reagent, I had ordered the 2 oz bottle. I was pleased to find that when the 2oz bottle arrived, it had a nipple on the end and thus could be use to deliver drops instead of refilling my 0.75 oz small bottle. So I went about my normal tests using the almost empty 0.75 oz bottle sometimes, and other times using the 2oz bottle. Since I am a bit OCD, as you can easily tell from reading any of my posts, I record every test and the conditions of the test.

Well after a week it became apparent that whenever I used the 2 oz bottle, I had to add more chlorine to my pool than when I used the 0.75 oz bottle. So I did a test last night using the 2 oz bottle and the 0.75 oz bottle on the same sample of water. The 2 oz bottle reported a FC=5.5. The 0.75 oz bottle reported a FC=7. The 2 oz bottle nipple produces a larger drop than the 0.75 oz! So half the time I was using more chlorine than necessary because the manufacturer decides to change the nipple size. :mad:

So the moral of this story is that you should use and stick with the test bottles your kit came with. Of course if the drop size changes your reading that much, who is to say every bottle is made to the same spec and thus will produce the correct reading?

Ugh... being OCD makes you over-think too much. I will now go back to straightening that stack of paper....again. ;)

You may have missed it, but there was a mix up a couple of month ago with the supplier for the tips of the TF Testkits bottles where some wrong style tips were sent out in some kits. If you bought your refills from TF-testkits in that time period it may explain your issue. If so you need to contact them to get a replacement.

You may have missed it, but there was a mix up a couple of month ago with the supplier for the tips of the TF Testkits bottles where some wrong style tips were sent out in some kits. If you bought your refills from TF-testkits in that time period it may explain your issue. If so you need to contact them to get a replacement.

Wow, I did not know that. I just sent an email to TFTESTKITS.net telling them the problem. I will report more on the conclusion to this.

Ok, here is the update. I sent an email to TFTESTKITS.net at 5:29pm CST. At 5:32pm CST, Rebecca from TFTESTKITS.net contacted me back and stated the new tip would be sent ASAP. That was some of the BEST customer service I have ever had.

Last edited:
Ok, here is the update. I sent an email to TFTESTKITS.net at 5:29pm CST. At 5:32pm CST, Rebecca from TFTESTKITS.net contacted me back and stated the new tip would be sent ASAP. That was some of the BEST customer service I have ever had.

They have amazing customer service, I haven't seen better. Turn around on purchases is fast, and the way they handled the dropper cap mix-up was superb. A lot of companies really need to take a page out of TF Test Kit's book, several need more than 1 copy.

LOL on the OCD...........nope not me.........the books are NOT all straight with each one in it's place (alphabetical order that is) nor is the TV dead center on the wall between the windows....nope :rolleyes: I think I like you a LOT! You fit right in around here!

We DO love us some TFtest and Becky! There are none better than her and that company!

:kim:

One thing to keep in mind is that this is not high precision lab chemistry you're doing here; you're not mixing up rocket fuel. These dropper tip bottles with their fitments (they're called fitments, not nipples...mainly because us nerds will laugh and giggle uncontrollably when you use the "n" word since we don't get out much....) do their best to provide as precise a droplet as possible, but they are not perfect. There is also a lot of variation that can be created by the user since a fresh bottle filled to the brim will produce a slightly different droplet size than a mostly used bottle with lots of air-space in it.

So you just need to pick a testing regimen and stick to it. I also suggest not re-using bottles. While we all like to be recycle conscious and eco-friendly, refilling old bottles is a recipe for mixing up wrong chemicals, causing cross contamination and any number of other goof-ups...believe me, the people that use K-Cup coffee makers are causing way more damage to the environment than us pool nerds.

Ah...ha! I know I am not alone. I also ordered the 16 oz R-0013, 2 oz R-0871 and 2 oz R-0004. The very first thing I noticed is that the 2 oz bottles produce a large amount of drops compare to the .75 oz bottle. I just refilled the small bottles with the assumption that the reagents has the same chemical properties and/or density as labeled.

I've been using a 2oz cl dropper for over a year without issue but I, ahem, ordered that from amazon. I'd like an update from the OP when the new FITMENT arrives comparing to .75oz bottle.

Chris,

I will definitely post an update here on when it gets here and how it compares to my 0.75oz bottle. I just wish I would of been notified sooner of this discrepancy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Holydoc, yours must have slipped through the cracks, here is the original thread on the subject TFTestkits has a big to report

I am beginning to really respect the company TFTESTKITS.net. That is quite the customer service to state a mistake on a forum like that. EXCELLENT!

Just to give an update. I received my fitment today. That was quick.

The bad news is that even with the new fitment, I did not get the same results between the 0.75 oz and the 2 oz bottle. The 2 oz bottle reported an FC = 6 and the 0.75 oz bottle reported an FC = 7. This was almost the same difference as before. This tells me that the weight from the reagent in the bottle must cause different size drops to be created.

So if I assume that the 0.75 oz bottle is the correct measurement, then size matters. Now to confirm that the 0.75 oz bottle is correct, I will purchase another 0.75 oz bottle as the refill replacement and test if it produces the same FC as the 0.75 oz or the 2.0 oz.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.