Single speed pump vs variable speed

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
I am currently running a Hayward super 2 pump that is 1.5 hp. Reallosticly would I bennifit going to a DC variable pump. I mean would I see a differance in my power bill? I run my pump now 6 hours a day 7 days a week.. And I have a pretty large solar system so would a slowed down variable speed pump be able to pump up to the roof? I don't want to spend 800 to 1000 dollars if I won't recoup that in savings ,,

Thanks todd

You pump is oversized for the solar, but likely needed for the spa jets. So you can not simply go to a smaller pump to save power.

A large VS pump like the Intelliflo or the EcoStar would be more than capable to reproduce your current pumps flow rate at a lower speed with the advantage of running at a lower speed when solar or the spa are not needed. But, they are expensive, and in FL you should also add a surge protector on a VS pump too. If your electrical costs are not pretty high, it may take you many years to recoup the upfront cost.

Another cheaper option is to just put a 2-speed motor on your existing pump. Then on high it is the same as your existing pump for solar or the spa, but you can run on 1/2 speed when that flow rate is not needed (which uses ~1/4 the amount of power to move 1/2 the amount of water). Do you have a solar controller? Most I think can switch the pump speed from low to high when solar is turned on or vise versa.

The more variables you have, the more you need a variable speed pump. I don't know if I'll ever recover the near $1000 it cost to add the Intelliflo VS pump, but I would have bought it anyway. I have a 19k pool/spa with infloor cleaning, solar and NG heating, and a salt water chlorine generator. I have my pump programmed to come on each morning at a speed optimized for the infloor cleaning for 1 hour to clean up the pool. It then drops down to the minimum speed needed to operate my SWCG. If heat is called for and available at the solar panels, the solar control ramps up the pump to a pre set speed that is optimized for the solar system, and when finished returns control to the pump controller. After the SWCG is through chlorinating the pool for the day, the pump drops to a very slow 1000 rpm (using the power of a 100w light bulb), which provides extra filtration that makes the water extra sparkling clean. At 10pm it shuts down and waits for the next morning. That's all done within the pump programming, and is done without any automation system (other than my very basic SolarTouch solar controller). Since I am running the lowest effective speed for each task and the pump never ever exceeds 2/3 of the power consumed by the old pump, even at its fastest setting, I assume, some day it will have paid for itself. But, as far as I'm concerned the pump has already proved it value, and I didn't even mention that it's so quiet you often have to touch it to be sure it running.

I do agree that the more variables you have like a spa and solar the more a VS might be a better choice but if a two speed will get the job down for you it's much cheaper and you'll still have a noticeable cost savings in operation.

I didn't buy a two speed, as I only run my pump when running through the solar heater. The faster your water goes the more you heat, so just making it to the roof won't make for efficient heating.

If you only have your pump on 6 hours a day, I imagine you could have the solar on for 75% or more of the time (25% cloudy and rainy days)? If you do have it on that much, and are running your pump at maximum speed for that time, your savings will be much smaller. If you run your solar at lower speed, will you have to make up for that by running a heater?

In Florida, you're probably paying about 14 cents an hour for your pump, running at half speed on a variable or two speed, you'll cost about 3.5 cents an hour. Your payback is close to 10000 hours of runtime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.