Single speed pump to variable speed?

dukegrad

Apr 22, 2019
Charlotte Area
I have a single speed 2HP pump that feeds a pool/spa combo (with waterfall from spa to pool). I kept the pump motor on life support two years ago with a capacitor replacement but now it is all but dead. I can’t find much info on the impact of a VSP on the waterfall. Currently the waterfall operates whenever in pool mode (Jandy automation) and turns off in spa mode. Methinks if it has lower flow from VSP the waterfall will become a dribble. I’m not looking to replumb at this time but also hate the thought of replacing with an inefficient single speed. Any thoughts/recommendations? I’ve searched all over and can’t believe I am the only person with this question (or I have terrible searching skills).

If you have Jandy automation, you most likely can program the spa spillover to run for a short period of time at whatever rate you like each day to keep the spa chlorinated, and then switch to pure pool mode most of the time at a lower pump rate. You would need to make sure that whatever VS pump you buy can be controlled by your automation.

Thank you for the prompt reply! I do have Jandy automation - I upgraded to iAqualink after the PDA died. I understand what you’re saying, but currently pool mode always operates the waterfall. Maybe there’s a way via Jandy programming to switch spa valves (which control waterfall) off per your suggestion at certain times? Since I don’t have an ePump currently I haven’t dug into that as an option.

To enable the spa spillover control you just need to change dip switch #3 in the Aqualink panel and move whatever is on AUX3, which will become the spillover control, to another relay. Read...

Once you do that you can set schedules of when the spa spillover will run in Pool mode. And you can always turn AUX3 on and off manually.

Last edited:
One more question... in comparing the published dimensions of the Stealth SHPF vs. ePump, the union locations look to be identical, which would imply a drop in replacement (with new cable/programming for ePump in Aqualink). Do you know if wet side is the same on both models - and if so, would it make any sense to just upgrade the motor/drive assembly or should I just bite the bullet and replace the entire pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.