Signs & symptoms which lead to replaster?

sacredcow

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My question is: How does one decide that it's time to start thinking about having a pool replastered?

The background: when I moved into my house a year ago, I was given a limited amount of information about the history of the pool. I know that it was built in 1982 (somehow, the original plans were transferred through the owners) and most of the equipment was original (save for pumps and cleaners, etc...). I had it inspected, and the only thing they said was that the skimmer throat had a small crack and should be replaced at some point (but it wasn't a dire emergency). There was no mention of the condition of the plaster one way or the other. The attached pic shows what it looks like- it's just plain white plaster but there is some etching/mottling/whatever you want to call it. From reading, I've gathered that this can be caused by a less-than-stellar plastering job but maybe aggressive water might also be a factor according to some? There are also a few calcium nodules (5 or less in total) that I just noticed. Otherwise, I haven't noticed anything particularly alarming. At 37 years old, I have to think that this is not the original plaster to the pool. I am virtually positive that the previous owner (for about 7 years) didn't replaster it, but beyond that there's no telling- the house changed owners quite frequently and none of the neighbors know.

I was just curious if there are any specific symptoms that definitively say, "Start saving your pennies for a replaster job." All the pools I've dealt with previously have been vinyl liners, and those are pretty obvious about when it's time to replace! Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter!

image2.jpeg

Reactions: markayash
In your case, it’s an aesthetic choice. If the pool isn’t leaking water and all of the returns and light fixtures are solid, then there’s no need to replaster it unless you’re unhappy with the way it looks. Depending on how long you plan to be in that house, you may consider a backyard remodel at some point (although you get better ROI doing interior remodels) at which point redoing the pool surfaces (decking, coping, tile and plaster) could be part of that.

As long as you practice good water chemistry and don’t let the pool get out of control, the plaster could last a long time. It is possible that it is original. Back in the old days, pool plaster contained asbestos as an additive and it greatly improves the mechanical strength of plaster as well as wear resistance. The industry doesn’t do that anymore and modern plaster products barely get 10 years before they start to really show their age.

In your case, it’s an aesthetic choice. If the pool isn’t leaking water and all of the returns and light fixtures are solid, then there’s no need to replaster it unless you’re unhappy with the way it looks. Depending on how long you plan to be in that house, you may consider a backyard remodel at some point (although you get better ROI doing interior remodels) at which point redoing the pool surfaces (decking, coping, tile and plaster) could be part of that.

As long as you practice good water chemistry and don’t let the pool get out of control, the plaster could last a long time. It is possible that it is original. Back in the old days, pool plaster contained asbestos as an additive and it greatly improves the mechanical strength of plaster as well as wear resistance. The industry doesn’t do that anymore and modern plaster products barely get 10 years before they start to really show their age.
Thanks for the input... I don't love the tile that's on the edge, but it's not offensive. The only thing I'd really like to change is to have some dark tiles on the edge of the steps, as I've had a few people (myself, a few drinks in, included) miss one of the steps since they're all white. But otherwise, I'm perfectly content with the aesthetics.

The interior remodels are already in progress; Out with the gross, stained cultured marble vanities and formica kitchen counters! As for the pool, I added the automation, recoated the deck, revamped the landscaping, and had a small raised wooden deck with outdoor shower installed. Not much $$, but big impact.

Cheers!

I've been wondering the same thing. Ours is 9 years old and kept by TFP guidelines the whole time. No leaks, everything works fine, but the plaster collects dirt now and is rougher than before. I've sanded the whole pool with 120 grit diamond pads the last 2 years just to smooth it out...it has helped a lot but is showing wear (may be normal?) like pocking and roughness.

I've been wondering the same thing. Ours is 9 years old and kept by TFP guidelines the whole time. No leaks, everything works fine, but the plaster collects dirt now and is rougher than before. I've sanded the whole pool with 120 grit diamond pads the last 2 years just to smooth it out...it has helped a lot but is showing wear (may be normal?) like pocking and roughness.
Kind of the same, except I have no idea of how this pool has been maintained over the years. The lighter spots in the pic are somewhat rougher than the surrounding area, but they don't really hold any dirt- the Polaris picks up everything. The nodules had me concerned initially, but it seems the advice for those is to wait for them to exhaust then sand them down and use some epoxy to seal the hole. I'm fine with the answer above- it's not like I'm looking to have thousands of dollars ripped from my bank account! :LOL:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.