Shredded looking material in skimmer

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
Pictures below of skimmer sock showing something I can't identify.
There are little white pieces I first thought were brush bristles but they're about 1/4 inch long and feel like slick paper or heaven forbid- vinyl!
Another sock from a few days ago has more on it.
Also, note there are a few of these fragments in blue. Again, heaven forbid-vinyl!
Ideas?

Thank you, Joan
pool sock.JPGpool sock copy.jpg

I would guess it's vinyl unless you have a pool cover or pool toys made of a similar material. You could always put on some goggles and have a good close look at the liner. That kind of damage should be visible.

Mystery solved (I think)
I have fleaking paint on the bar at the pool house. It’s the same size little pieces.

Since this doesn’t happen/appear every day, I believe it’s blown in by the leaf blowers used by the Lawncare crew.

I’ll check the liner anyway to be sure. Liner is only 2 1/2 yrs old so I hope not.
Thank you for your help!

Reactions: mariane
Are the pieced uniform in shape? If you run your hand on top of the brush, do the bristles break off? Did you recently brush or vacuum your pool?
I'm guessing it's brush bristles. We've had them before and that's when I know it's time to replace the brush, or vacuum head.

Edit: glad it's only paint (probably).

Thank you Mariane. I knew it wasn’t brush bristles because I’ve had that happen in the past and those are hard and prickly. I have a much better brush since.
I did find the real source! A plastic outdoor rug bought last year from Joann. Proof they don’t weather well after all. Picture below so others don’t wast their money. Boy, I need to pressure wash
B2353DF9-FE2B-43B1-9BAC-D3C5BE6FC1B7.jpeg
thanks to all!
Joan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.