Should I use Floc?

Albertgarrido

May 17, 2020
Long Valley NJ
I've been using the BBB method for over 15 years and NEVER have put anything else in my pool.
For some reason I can't get the "haze" out of my pool. Can see bottom but it just not as crystal sparkling as I have had.
I have been running the pool filter 24 hours for last 4-5 days.
I've brushed the sides and bottom, run the robot daily for 3 cycles and I have done some swimming to make sure I "move" the water so filter can capture any particles.
Filter is running perfect...PSI well below the max.
I've SLAMMED the pool for the last 48 hours at about 17-18PPM
I've solar covered at night but taken off during day

CYA = 40
PH = 7.5
TA = 120
Calcium = 40
Water temp = 83

Pool is clean....no debris...and in sun for 9 hours a day (from 8am - 5pm)

I would have expected and in the past it would have went to sparkling water by this time...but its not.

I'm considering Floc at this point.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

20x40 vinyl 30k gallon DE filter and Dolphin Robot

I’ve been doing this as explained. However still don’t have that sparkling water.

The one thing I failed to mention and didn’t think it was important was that I took the water to the pool store to get it analyzed because I wanted to make sure my test kit was it failing. I have a very good test kit. It’s the Taylor test kit which most people recommend on here I just don’t remember what the model number is.

It did say I had an extreme level of total deposits in the pool. I don’t remember what the number was but I know they told me that was really really high and that the computer recommended I drain the pool partially.

I ignored them pretty much because well it’s a pool store!

however that is why I’m wondering if I should use the floc.

Follow the SLAM Process. If you pass the OCLT and CC levels several days in a row, then consider using a clarifier product like SeaKlear or Orenda. No floc. Floc creates more problems than it solves.

You don't need floc, you don't need to question your testing results, you don't need pool store numbers. But you may wish to consider a good dose of POP (Pool Owner Patience). Stay the course, follow the SLAM Process to the letter. It will work. 4-5 days or 48 hours at 17-18 ppm FC (CYA 40) probably just isn't long enough yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I guess a process that has worked consistently for thousands of pools over more than a decade is pretty "lame".

If you are just looking for someone to tell you the answer you want to hear, you're looking in the wrong place. Don't use floc.

OK OK you guys talked me off the cliff! No floc!

Just a quick question, does it matter if I leave the cover on or off? I’d prefer to leave on to keep the chlorine level from going down to fast.
Also what is OCLT?
Never mind.....I saw it in the SLAM process...First time I've ever heard this.
Been doing this for many years.....but you learn something new every day! ;-)

Thanks!

I would recommend leaving the cover off - at least during daylight hours - to let the water "breath". This will help in any off gassing of CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.