Should I upgrade my ancient equipment?

Jul 6, 2014
Cupertino, CA
I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) and have an approx 30000 gal pool. It has very little automation, a 120V fixed speed pump, a DE filter (Hayward 4820), a Polaris 360 and a push-pull valve. All the equipment is either ancient or merely very old. I will keep the Polaris since there seems to be no problem with it. The fixed speed pump has efficiency issues.

If I were to upgrade my setup, what would you recommend?

a. Upgrade to a VS pump, a multi-port valve, an SWG and automation (what automation?)
b. Same as above, but no automation
c. Same as above, but no MP valve
d. Same as above, but no SWG
e. Just the SWG
f. Just keep trucking on with the existing setup

What am I looking at in terms of cost for each of the above options?

I listed the MP valve because it will allow me to vac to waste and not suffer the problems of the DE filter clogging too quickly when there is debris that needs to be vacuumed out or when opening the pool.

Since I am reasonably handy, could I go the DIY option?

You are unlikely to be permitted anything other than a cartridge filter here in drought land. You also need a VSP. Have you looked into CA water & power regulations and guidelines? As your near neighbor, I vote to replace it all with modern gear.

Got any water features, lighting or a spa that could benefit from automation ? I don’t and leave my VS pump and SWG running 24/7 so there is nothing to automate. I have 2 ‘times’. Summertime and Wintertime.

The VS pump costs me about $20 a month to run. I only needed to run it about 12 hours a day but we liked the look of the moving water so we splurged the extra $10 a month. The unforeseen bonus at the time was the constant filtering, skimming, and FC production. My first water clarity problem was when the SWG reached end of life at 6.5 years, solely because we liked the look of running water. I cannot recommend it enough.
I listed the MP valve because it will allow me to vac to waste
A 3 way valve before a cartridge filter gives you the same option. It was a REALLY nice feature that I used often. I would sweep most of the pool to a general area and only have to vac that spot, bypassing the filter.

Got any water features, lighting or a spa that could benefit from automation ? I don’t and leave my VS pump and SWG running 24/7 so there is nothing to automate. I have 2 ‘times’. Summertime and Wintertime.
I have 3 water jets that arc up into the air and the Polaris. I do have a single multi-color LED light, but that is it.

I have two 3 way valves with the first one directing between the Polaris and the rest. The next valve takes the rest and splits it between the returns and the water jets.

Reactions: Newdude
I have 3 water jets that arc up into the air and the Polaris. I do have a single multi-color LED light, but that is it.
So you have things that may benefit from automation. (y) There are those tech-ie folks that have to have all the coolest gadgets and for everybody else there is no wrong answer if it’s worth it to them or not. Keep us posted.

So you have things that may benefit from automation. (y) There are those tech-ie folks that have to have all the coolest gadgets and for everybody else there is no wrong answer if it’s worth it to them or not. Keep us posted.

Not sure what in that can be automated other than perhaps feeding the Polaris.

Anyways, I was looking at RJ60Plus for the SWG - Is $1,689.00 a good price for it?

Any recommendations for the VSP?

Anyways, I was looking at RJ60Plus for the SWG - Is $1,689.00 a good price for it?
That’s tough. Supplies (equipment) and the pricing for them have been all over the place. I had several orders placed at various places that claimed in stock, even over the phone with a human double checking the system, only to be back ordered an hour after the sale.

Looks like the IC60 and controller is going for a little over $1400 right now, but again I don’t trust any of them until it ships.

The circupool models *were* cheaper before all this. It’s anybody’s guess now, and it’s minute to minute.
Any recommendations for the VSP
The pentair 011028 is the gold standard and was still $1500-$1700 the other day when I checked.

FWIW, I ordered an RJ-45 from Discount Salt Pool (AKA Circupool) on Wednesday and it shipped the same day. It's scheduled to arrive
Thanks! Maybe I will benefit from holding off for a few weeks before ordering then.
there’s always a deal on discountsaltpool - currently you can buy the 45+ and for $1 get the 60+ That’s what I did - working great and easy to install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.