Should I SLAM

B_A_T

Jun 25, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Fairly new pool owner here, water is a little cloudy after a heavy load today. Just took my levels and here is where I am, should I slam or take other action?

FC: 6.7
CC: .54
PH 7.6
TA: 120
CH: 235
CYA: 104

As stated below I do have a SWG. Appreciate any and all input.

BAT

Last edited:
I am curious, what test kit did you use to get those results? Can you put that in your signature?

First thing to note is those look an awful lot like pool store numbers. Pool store numbers are notoriously unreliable, in fact the CYA number looks like the typical "off the chart" placeholder they use. Also if that CC number is correct then there is a major issue with your water chemistry. However, I don't trust pool stores one bit to test accurately so I don't want to make any judgements.

We highly recommend doing your own testing with a trustworthy kit, specifically either the TF-100 or the Taylor k-2006c. Either kit is highly reliable and offers almost all of the tests one would need to follow our pool care regiment. Only missing test would be a salt test, which someone with an SWG like yourself would want to monitor. This test can be found separately.

First thing to note is those look an awful lot like pool store numbers. Pool store numbers are notoriously unreliable, in fact the CYA number looks like the typical "off the chart" placeholder they use. Also if that CC number is correct then there is a major issue with your water chemistry. However, I don't trust pool stores one bit to test accurately so I don't want to make any judgements.

We highly recommend doing your own testing with a trustworthy kit, specifically either the TF-100 or the Taylor k-2006c. Either kit is highly reliable and offers almost all of the tests one would need to follow our pool care regiment. Only missing test would be a salt test, which someone with an SWG like yourself would want to monitor. This test can be found separately.
Those are my own test results, not pool store (I know better). Also my automation provides me with my salt level.

I use a LaMotte 2056 ColorQ digital test kit. I will add that to my sig.
Thank you. I figured as much.
Assuming a CYA of 100, your FC is riding the minimum. You can do that. But just be aware.
From your shared Poolmath logs, your CC is 0.5, so you have a typo there.

I would do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I would also suggest getting your CYA lower.

Thank you. I figured as much.
Assuming a CYA of 100, your FC is riding the minimum. You can do that. But just be aware.
From your shared Poolmath logs, your CC is 0.5, so you have a typo there.

I would do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I would also suggest getting your CYA lower.
Thanks, just noticed that and corrected it. Been fighting CYA and followed Poolmath suggestion, guess I went a little overboard. How do I lower my CYA? I can increase my FC and I will do an OCLT and see what i get.

Thanks, just noticed that and corrected it. Been fighting CYA and followed Poolmath suggestion, guess I went a little overboard. How do I lower my CYA? I can increase my FC and I will do an OCLT and see what i get.
Only real way to lower CYA is to drain and refill. About 50% exchange would take you down to 50ish CYA which is much more manageable. :)

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.